Invitation to post pics of your garden workshops with sizes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kieth, Sorry it has taken me a while to respond but I have been a bit tied up with other stuff. The positioning of the doors and windows is not particularly flexible, just which side you want the door really. I have tried to attach some pictures but I don't think it has worked. I will try again another time when I have more time to work out how to attach them.

H

I used a high quality kit from here https://www.heavyduty-sheds.com/

Excellent service and very competitive prices with a good basic quality and spec. All 18mm cladding, stainless nails, membranes fitted and a really nice steel roofing system. They will customise almost any aspect for you and provide delivery. They do not offer building services but two people can assemble easily. I used my 14 year old son and father in law at various points.

I insulated and lined out myself:

Well my workshop is quite big (about 18 x 30 feet) but there is no way I would post any photographs. I would be too embarrassed because it is such a mess, nay a tip bordering on a pigsty. One of these days, when the house is finished. (Are houses ever actually finished though?)

K

This is mine. I strengthened and extended a cheap flimsy 3mx3m shed to 6mx3m.

My experience was:

Foundations are critical and for me almost more effort than building the actual shed.
Although it made the transition easier I wish I'd just built the whole thing from scratch as the existing is the weak link.
One of the time consuming things in doing it yourself is cladding.
Sounds obvious but before you start be absolutely sure it's in the right place and the biggest you can do and will ever likely need. As soon as I finished I wished I'd gone bigger.
Don't cut corners when it comes to strength. If I had time I think I might be knocking it down and starting again based on what I learnt..

It's regular rough sawn board on board over battens, membrane and external ply. I haven't fully insulated inside (yet, if ever). Full length second hand french doors for windows and roof light. Natural light is great. It's tucked away in a corner. Regular tool/lawnmower shed to right.

IMG_20170128_111437374.jpg

This is as small as space as I'd enjoy working in.

IMG_20170125_125820269.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170125_125820269.jpg
    IMG_20170125_125820269.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170128_111437374.jpg
    IMG_20170128_111437374.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 119
I've just looked at the recommendation for Gardens Direct buildings and I would put you off any building that uses the 'log-cabin' method of corner jointing. I made that mistake about 10 years ago. Last year it became obvious that rain had been driving into the joints which rotted from within. The method may look good when new, but as we all know, wood moves and it is impossible to keep them watertight. Last summer I clad the whole of the side exposed to prevailing winds with hanging felt shingle tiles and plastic flashing. I'm expecting to have to do the other walls as time goes on. This is a 10 x 6m building so its not a cheap job.

Back