Best diy router lift ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwpainting

Established Member
Reaction score
I just watched this an I have to say I think it's the best looking diy router lift I've seen so far. I think I will make this unless someone has a better one??

46212_2000x2000.jpg

Didn't have to do anything except pinch the idea from Chippygeoff and shove it under my router.

Well I saw that and dismissed it as a krap looking bodge to be honest, is it safe? accurate or quick?. How good is it?
I want to decide on a fine adjustable router lift before I build a decent new table, but it has got to be a bit near the mark and I haven't seen much that impresses me so far.
Any suggestions most welcome.

In the linked video he glues and screws two blocks together, but if you want more precision (when building a jig for example) then the better method is,

-drill screw clearance holes in one block and countersink
-align and loosely cramp the two blocks together without glue, using a small hammer get the precise location you want, then tighten the cramp. Check the alignment one more time.
-screw the two blocks together and then remove the screws
-apply glue
-re screw the blocks together

Cramping glued blocks generally sees them skating around on each other, furthermore PVA is such a good lubricant that the cramp won't then be able to resist any twisting action from the screws. Normally I prefer either screws or glue, but when you need both then it's screws first and only afterwards apply glue.

custard":10o4pkjh said:
Cramping glued blocks generally sees them skating around on each other...

You'll often see us experimental luthiers sprinkle a little sand in a scarf joint to prevent that.

I know... It's :shock: :? :oops: but it works.

one assumes once set the lock can be reached under the table. From the video it is obvious the lock gets modified in some way. (I've no sound to hear any commentary). I cannot see the advantage of the mod what am I missing. It does look a quick and easy build although I'd like one that incorporates a quick lift as well as incremental and a solid lock, cutters can creep if not locked.

Its the actual control of the lift that I like. The timber build part is a bit J Arthur but I can ignore that because he's a bloke poncing about in his garage like me.
I was particularly impressed with his using a piece of copper wire for getting the profile of the router (not seen that before). I bet some u tube superduper copies that! The fact that he has solved the problem of having to have the lift winder directly attached either vertically or horizontally to the router via a rigid mechanism is an absolute genius masterpiece of engineering. He deserves much credit for this. What I like is that the lift adjustment is constantly available anywhere and at any distance on the bench.

This is, beyond doubt the very best, simplest and most accurate after market router lift mechanism I have seen and I don't expect anyone to improve upon it.

However the rest of the build needs work, in particular... what?

What would you say?

screwpainting":1u8wprx5 said:
However the rest of the build needs work, in particular... what?

What would you say?

If you're completely sold on the concept, the only real improvements could be in the construction of the handle mechanism. As you can see, he had to slap a bunch of extra support on it. I'd use sturdier drawer slides and a better ply construction of the housing :)

Latest posts

Back