Prototype 'Harlekin'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Kretschmar

Established Member
Reaction score
A sash saw with a new designed handle. It was a test to give it a more TLT touch. More filigrane and offering a way to insert an ovally shaped spine flush to the top of the cheeks. Pedder isn't too fond of it, he called the design 'Harlekin'. I had a good laugh on this name but found it rather good. I like this design a lot. The pic shows a comparison to our usual sash saw handle.

P1050004.jpg

The Cocobolo handled saw is my user for a few years.

More pics can be seen here: https://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot. ... &Itemid=58

Klaus

i like that. The only comment I have, and it isnt a criticism, is that the very dark timber doesnt show off the subtle lines and features like the cocobolo saw does. The blog pictures show a little more, but I can only see a hint of the feature at the bottom (is this called a lambs tongue?)

marcros":1edt8hzj said:
i like that. The only comment I have, and it isnt a criticism, is that the very dark timber doesnt show off the subtle lines and features like the cocobolo saw does. The blog pictures show a little more, but I can only see a hint of the feature at the bottom (is this called a lambs tongue?)

The rather dark Ebony hides the details while being photographed with the usual exposure. Here a few slightly overexposed pics.

P1050006.jpg

P1050007.jpg

P1050008.jpg

P1050009.jpg

You probably will spot some nicks and nacks. I was smart enough to drop this handle onto the floor when it was nearly finished. It was seriously damaged :( . Since it's a prototype that was made to show the shape and to judge the haptics, I glued the handle parts together instead of throwing them into the bin.

Klaus

Klaus Kretschmar":2g7uy6l4 said:
marcros":2g7uy6l4 said:

The rather dark Ebony hides the details while being photographed with the usual exposure. Here a few slightly overexposed pics.

P1050006.jpg

You probably will spot some nicks and nacks. I was smart enough to drop this handle onto the floor when it was nearly finished. It was seriously damaged :( . Since it's a prototype that was made to show the shape and to judge the haptics, I glued the handle parts together instead of throwing them into the bin.

Klaus

very nice indeed

Klaus Kretschmar":5ictvgez said:
P1050009.jpg

Klaus

It is indeed very pretty. Dare I ask, though, if it was broken so quickly (I think I see the break in the lower horn) is the design not a bit too fragile ? What is the white dot on the top of the handle ? I've seen plugs covering a strengthening rod on some saws - presumably that's not the purpose ?

Many thanks to all posters!

Sheffield Tony":3sym0dhe said:
It is indeed very pretty. Dare I ask, though, if it was broken so quickly (I think I see the break in the lower horn) is the design not a bit too fragile ? What is the white dot on the top of the handle ? I've seen plugs covering a strengthening rod on some saws - presumably that's not the purpose ?

I've a tiled floor in my shop. If a handle drops down it almost always will get impacts regardless the wood or the shape. But the rather brittle Ebony is more vulnerable than e.g. beech or some fruit woods, no doubt. This particular design seems to be more fragile than others. But as you can spot, the bottom horn didn't brake where it's thin, the brake was on a relatively thick part. The long and thin horn ends are rather long grained, the brake has happened on a short grained part. The best idea with any handle is not to drop it down :lol:

The white dot is a Mother of Pearl inlay, so just an embellishment.

Klaus

Lovely shape and execution but I'd be frightened to use it - I'm always dropping things and even though I've got rubber mats, my dropped tools always seem to find the concrete!

Rod

I am impressed by your craftsmanship but I don't like the style at all. There is just not enough material and strenght in it. If it was mine I would break it very soon and that would be a wastage of your good craftsmanship.

heimlaga":166wqywk said:
I am impressed by your craftsmanship but I don't like the style at all. There is just not enough material and strenght in it. If it was mine I would break it very soon and that would be a wastage of your good craftsmanship.

I think that the tool has enough strength to stand hard use as long as it will be treated how a good tool should be treated. Look some early saws like Groves & Sons, Kenyons and others more. They show that a filigrane shape is able to stand the use for 150+ years.

Actually these early British saws did influence me a lot, when I began the saw making adventure together with Pedder. They show that a good performance and a lovely design can go hand in hand very well. It was the Victorian pride of toolmaking that created outstanding tools and that influenced the whole handtool world. It's one of my main motivations to get this kind of toolmaking back to life again. And: thanks godness there actually is a growing number of toolmakers, that obviously tries to achieve the same target. To make a well performing tool that is overdimensioned in some parts for reasons of precaution is easy. But nothing that for me seems to be worth it to spend my time. I want more.

Klaus

Back