Cheapo palm router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eh?

Set (includes router, trimmer base, plunge base and tilt base): £83.99

Individually: router & trimmer base: £28.79
plunge base: £22.20
tilt base: £9.59
TOTAL: £60.58

I agree with Geordie & mezmey.

otter":9z8tce5v said:
eh?

Set (includes router, trimmer base, plunge base and tilt base): £83.99

Individually: router & trimmer base: £28.79
plunge base: £22.20
tilt base: £9.59
TOTAL: £60.58

I agree with Geordie & mezmey.

+1

Seems bizarre, but the set seems to be a complete waste of £23, one to chalk up to experience I think Mike.

Terry.

Yep it seems the price has been changed since I bought the set, one up to experience as you say.

Mike

monkeybiter":1aw9wwbm said:
I bought three 14/11/2016, delivered 16/11/2016.

Hmm. I bought two on 21/11 with 48 hour delivery. Not received yet, but got a Parcelforce tracking number. Tracking website says "pre-advice received" dated 22nd, and nothing further.

Do you guys reckon I could use this to make a 30MM cut into a worktop? I'm trying to turn a square piece of worktop offcut into a circle table top - I know I should probably use a higher grade router but I'm on a budget and I don't know how much use I'll have for a router.

The motor on this one seems to be the same as the Makita, but I can't find any details on what the plunge depth is. The Makita says it has a depth of 35MM. Anyone know what the depth is for the Katsu?

cheers all

uktexan":2st4wyz1 said:
Do you guys reckon I could use this to make a 30MM cut into a worktop? I'm trying to turn a square piece of worktop offcut into a circle table top - I know I should probably use a higher grade router but I'm on a budget and I don't know how much use I'll have for a router.

The motor on this one seems to be the same as the Makita, but I can't find any details on what the plunge depth is. The Makita says it has a depth of 35MM. Anyone know what the depth is for the Katsu?

cheers all

A 35mm plunge depth doesn't automatically mean 35mm cutting depth. A lot depends on the cutter you have installed, if the cutter extends down to just above the workpiece when the router is unplunged then you'll have the full 35mm of plunge travel available for cutting. But in practise this is unlikely.

In theory you can make big cuts with small routers, but it requires the job to be done in multiple small increments, with the depth of each pass never exceeding the diameter of the cutter. You'd also get a much better result with a solid carbide spiral upcut bit, but they're not cheap.

adidat":3rj2avc5 said:
You realise it's a makita clone right? I have the same real makita one it's very good.

Adidat

With repect to Adidat I wonder if the "Makita clone" stuff is a bit overdone. I see quite a few clones of this router around in different colours and plastic tops but all essentially identical.

It is entirely possible that Makita bought up the product from another factory, banded it Makita and tripled the price. I was looking the other day at the Dewalt equivalent and was struck by the similarity of the size, castings and plastic top bit. So close in fact that I would bet that the Dewalt router came from the same production line.

I am extemely sceptical that this is a Makita rip off and that probably its the other way round that is a Makita rip off of the UK customer using the cheaper mechanics of this router.

uktexan":3a1bq45i said:
I'm on a budget and I don't know how much use I'll have for a router.

Couple of thoughts. I have a Katsu but, not being in the UK at the moment, can't measure plunge depth. I think it and you would find it hard work, perhaps better to cut the circle with a jig saw and then just trim the circumference with a long spiral bit as Custard suggests. OTOH if you don't think you will need a router for other jobs, it would be cheaper to pay someone to cut it for you, maybe even a pint or three to a local woodworker.

beech1948":1x9guilr said:
adidat":1x9guilr said:
You realise it's a makita clone right? I have the same real makita one it's very good.

Adidat

With repect to Adidat I wonder if the "Makita clone" stuff is a bit overdone. I see quite a few clones of this router around in different colours and plastic tops but all essentially identical.

It is entirely possible that Makita bought up the product from another factory, banded it Makita and tripled the price. I was looking the other day at the Dewalt equivalent and was struck by the similarity of the size, castings and plastic top bit. So close in fact that I would bet that the Dewalt router came from the same production line.

I am extemely sceptical that this is a Makita rip off and that probably its the other way round that is a Makita rip off of the UK customer using the cheaper mechanics of this router.

Gmc also have one that looks near identical

uktexan":ri1ddm6q said:
I don't know how much use I'll have for a router.
I was in the same boat when I bought this, but quickly found it invaluable. Roundovers, rebates, chamfers, pattern copying, recesses, etc. it's a very handy tool. I'll pick up a 1/2" router when I can, but the Katsu is more capable than I expected.

It is a great little router, I'm happy with mine and use it far more than any of my other better branded 1/4" routers!

I also have this router, not had it long so haven't really tried it out yet, but appears to be decent quality especially for the price.

I'm just debating whether to buy the plunge unit for it.

Any Opinions?

Regards
Phil

Thinks i'm going to get me one of these. Who is doing the best deals at the moment, does anyone know? Ta!

Back