Not so Dusty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
T'was on a Monday morning that the Courier came to call.
h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg
h4.jpg

Because I wanted the lightest head piece I opted for the 100 series.
This of course does have the limitation of being only TH2 compliant max. due to the crown and rear being open.

h6.jpg

To improve on this I have embarked upon a trial using the associated fine dust environment cape which should put the assembly into the TH3 category as far as inward dust leackage.
h5.jpg

Currently I'm going to use my old 3M turbo unit filter for air supply, did have some reservations as to whether the hose coupling would be compatible, but with the knowledge that an adaptor was an easy fix if necessary.
Turned out all is fine, Hood coupling is compatible.

Now need to save up the pennies for the latest lithium power/filter unit but as things stand not an urgent priority.

Not used in anger yet, but first impressions are that it feels comfortable when fitted.
Visor lift is good and stays put.
A little more care needed in fitting and removal if spectacles are not to be dislodged compared with old unit, this is mainly down to a better more flexible facial seal curtain and its elastic tensioning, something I'm sure will soon become second nature.

As far as the cape is concerned I think it will justify looking ridiculous to some folks just to turn a bit of wood, if only to shed all those annoying shavings that find their way around the neck, ears etc. not sure how robust and long lived it will be, being commercial I guess it's considered as one of the consumables, worst case scenario it can be used as a pattern to make some in house cloth versions.

For those interested in the specifics:-
http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... m-106.html

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... m-928.html

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... m-976.html

And the real piggy bank raider still to come.
http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... 315uk.html

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 3,100
  • h2.jpg
    h2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,099
  • h3.jpg
    h3.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 3,101
  • h4.jpg
    h4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,100
  • h6.jpg
    h6.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3,101
  • h5.jpg
    h5.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3,099
Honestly, putting all that on would put me off the hobby :(

Are you truning wood or going into space? :p

I have been using the 3M versaflow M100 for a while now and love it Chas, its so light compared to the trend I used to have.

I wear mine all day... everyday.

Thanks for the thumbs up George regarding the choice, the design is certainly an improvement on the older series I've had up until now.
The hood as it stands is the same dust exclusion level as my old one as far as breathing is concerned but as I suffer at times with skin contact I thought I would trial the cape and see how much inconvenience it was, if at all, and if there was any improvement in chip shedding.

The 300 series has the better dust exclusion but the, unnecessary for me, 'hard hat' top adds considerably to the weight and cost, as does the 400 series which has the built in shoulder cape.

How long does it take to drop the habit of 'blowing' dust away only to realise you have the mask on?!?

SVB":34b368rv said:
How long does it take to drop the habit of 'blowing' dust away only to realise you have the mask on?!?
About the same time it takes to stop trying to change your new Varifocal lenses when you get up from the computer.

CHJ":2jecbd0e said:
SVB":2jecbd0e said:
About the same time it takes to stop trying to change your new Varifocal lenses when you get up from the computer.
Just don't sneeze :)

It would be good to read further feedback on this new kit. I do like the Trend AirShield, despite a few gripes. I assume the 100 series helmet is significantly lighter?

Are there ear defenders for that range? The clip on ones for the Trend aren't bad, but less than ideal.

sploo":3q7d2eep said:
It would be good to read further feedback on this new kit. I do like the Trend AirShield, despite a few gripes. I assume the 100 series helmet is significantly lighter?

Are there ear defenders for that range? The clip on ones for the Trend aren't bad, but less than ideal.

3M™ Versaflo™ Faceshield, M-106 544 g (slightly heavier than my old 3M unit 440 gram )

Trend Airshield pro. 920 gram Battery pack (8hr) 195 gram. (1115 gram total in use) more than double the weight but that was the unit I had for review in 2008, spec may have changed.

952153_xl[1].jpg

Attachments

• 952153_xl[1].jpg
    952153_xl[1].jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2,922
SVB":37wamy0i said:

Another 'habit' I learned to stop was permitting myself a gentle 'trouser cough' whilst wearing the predecessor to the one Chas is modeling - One gets a VERY FAST reminder that a powered face shield filter is positioned just above the nether regions!! :oops:

gregmcateer":2fh808lf said:
Another 'habit' I learned to stop was permitting myself a gentle 'trouser cough' whilst wearing the predecessor to the one Chas is modeling - One gets a VERY FAST reminder that a powered face shield filter is positioned just above the nether regions!! :oops:
Lots of potential japery if a colleague was wearing one though...

Ahem.

More Monday morning Excitement.

Your DPD Driver is currently making delivery number 12, you are delivery number 17.
Your DPD Driver is approximately 30 minutes away from you.
You can watch Your DPD Driver's progress on our map.
dpd.jpg

One of Santas more senior helpers has intervened and brought forward the rest of the kit somewhat earlier than I had ever envisioned.
PP1.jpg

First out of the box was a 'free gift' a neat little battery screwdriver.
PP2.jpg

Then having fought my way through several meters of copious packaging came the rather exotic remainder of the over the top kit for a Hobby turner.
PP3.jpg

Having sorted through the world encompassing literature and looked at all the pictures and not being much wiser I've done the usual Man trick of sorting out the bits and putting them together as seemed fit, the belt is certainly generous in girth, (anyone have a 150CM + waist?)
Now in the obligatory Initial Battery Charge phase which would appear to be extremely rapid.
PP4.jpg

Guess it's just got to be shed time this afternoon.

Attachments

• dpd.jpg
    dpd.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,679
  • PP1.jpg
    PP1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2,681
  • PP2.jpg
    PP2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,680
  • PP3.jpg
    PP3.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,682
  • PP4.jpg
    PP4.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,678
Random Orbital Bob":2cu389ey said:
I look forward to some stunning output later tonight....with guilt free lungs to boot :)

Suspect it may be just a bucket full of shavings, have a few bits of suspect wood that I don't know what is likely to be hidden inside until they are spun up, at least it will be a change from dressing a load of Partridges for the freezer that I got lumbered with this morning.

Random Orbital Bob":eaepavqw said:
Ooh...what did you do with them? I got given 3 partridges from a shoot yesterday too :)
Put them in a pear tree?
I'll get my coat

Hi Rob, the Partridges we skin them the same as we do with the Pheasants for starters rather than pluck them.

To skin, remove head, feet, tail feathers and wings, unless you care to fiddle with the wings for what little meat is on them.
Nick the Breast skin with a sharp fileting knife, avoid nicking crop if possible and with thumbs rip and peal back skin from breast, along body towards tail and legs by hooking them out of the resulting skin sleeve, continue with back skin and clear, wings and peal skin from neck.
Then comes the internal cleaning, I'll PM you the details if you want rather than put folks off their evening meal.

They are then roasted with a stuffing from a Hairy Bikers recipe.
(we prefer Pheasants in a casserole with red wine, and occasionally the odd partridge goes this way if not enough to serve individual diners)

Just had some Ducks dropped off as I was typing, those will be plucked not skinned and roasted at the appropriate time, another chore to keep me out of the shed.

Back