major relandscaping job.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted much woody stuff this year as I have been busy doing other things. Mods - you must decide whether this belongs here or elsewhere. Having completed our kitchen extension and refit, the garden was a scene of devastation and needed re-landscaping. This was the scene through our bifold doors.

DSC02123_zpskh3gqpbh.jpg

First job is to get in a digger and a skilled driver to level the ground and dig foundation trenches for the retaining walls.

IMG_0191_zps2lhtrnyw.jpg

P1110763_zpsj0jzjzao.jpg

IMG_0174_zpsmjkcclr9.jpg

P1110764_zpslzzuddtt.jpg

Then set out some levelling pegs in trenches to mark the top of the concrete fill.

P1110771_zpsznnbhmva.jpg

P1110772_zpsrsl8juv9.jpg

Concrete was bought in by pump.

P1110780_zpspaxjwnpt.jpg

P1110785_zpsbzyjssku.jpg

P1110786_zps2jdysyuu.jpg

The walls are initially built from concrete block, and then faced with local Yennadon Stone. We needed 8 tons of block, 19 tons of stone, 8 tons of paving slabs, 15 tons of sand, 3 tons of cement, and 5 tons of gravel. So that's 58 tons of materials to be barrowed down from the road to where it's needed. My wife matched me barrow load for barrow load!

P1110790_zpsiuty7axp.jpg

P1110793_zpskmjskwje.jpg

P1110795_zpswzaho8du.jpg

The side retaining wall was left as block for reasons of economy. Facing stone is £135 per ton. The rule of thumb is that the thickness of the base of the wall should be between 1/4 and 1/3rd the height of the finished wall, so here it starts at 3 blocks thick, then thins to 2 blocks and a single block for the final course.

P1130375_zpsrmecncgi.jpg

The "stealth bomber" cutout is a template for the steps, with holes to mark where the inset lights will go.

P1130376_zpsi0rh0e1n.jpg

P1150077%20reduced_zpsgi4vbjaw.jpg

Once the lower walls are faced with small walling stone, it's time to build a dry stone wall at the upper level using medium walling stone.

P1150082_zpsfn2xjvdr.jpg

And the finished article.

DSC00542_zpsrn4eypp3.jpg

DSC00545_zpstcfihux4.jpg

DSC00552_zpsazpt8ujy.jpg

DSC00556_zpshzvnuirr.jpg

DSC00560_zps5orhi0pr.jpg

.... and hopefully you'll agree that the view from the kitchen is somewhat improved.

Fantastic job!

I very much like the design and the planting scheme really sets it off.

The WIIP shots show a very neat and tidy site!

I bet you appreciated having a concrete pump....

Not bad for a weekends work!

That's a fabulous job Roger, looks as though your wife did most of the work though. :wink: No wonder you haven't done much woodwork. I've got an acre or so that need landscaping - fancy a trip up north? :lol:

One thing stands out to me on you house though is downpipe on the corner, I couldn't live with that as it spoils the very nice lines of the windows.

Bob

Lons":3i0gsvkl said:
That's a fabulous job Roger, looks as though your wife did most of the work though. :wink: No wonder you haven't done much woodwork. I've got an acre or so that need landscaping - fancy a trip up north? :lol:

One thing stands out to me on you house though is downpipe on the corner, I couldn't live with that as it spoils the very nice lines of the windows.

Bob
Thanks Bob. No plans for any more landscaping for the time being - thanks for the offer :). I know what you mean about that downpipe, but I could think of no other way to get the water from that new pitch to the soakaway at the front of the property. If I was starting from scratch now I'd find some way of integrating the downpipe inside the steel corner post that supports that end of the roof, but that was a detail that didn't occur to me until we were well past the point of no return - at least economically. I suppose that I could cut a notch in the slate windowcill so that the fall would be simplified, but that would create problems of its own and could be unsightly in its own right. The reality is that most of the time we are either inside looking out, or sitting around the outside table with a meal and a bottle of wine and the downpipe can't be seen, so not an issue in practice. Sometime I might play around with some brown pipework and bends so that it contrasts less with the wood.

Very nice looking job done there, but that down pipe hit me in the eye too, I don't know if it would work for you but as an idea I once saw a chain used as a "down pipe" it sort of used the surface tension of the water to trap it and guide it down, of coarse the drain needs to directly under the hopper feed of the gutter, just an idea.

Not an easy problem to solve Roger without a cost implication but one of those things you get used to and don't notice after a while.
It would have looked better returning the gutter around the corner of the facia and down or better still along the side of the extension and down the wall then underground to the soakaway but hind sight is a great thing and guttering is not the immediate priority when your building.
That idea from Chris is interesting though.

Bob

As someone who has done a fair bit of heavy landscaping, i have to say that is a mightily impressive job. Looks fabulous.

Looks very good Roger, is this the house finished now or do you have other major work to do?

(I know there never really finished, but you know what I mean :) ).

Lovely job , it's just a pity winter is coming so you can't sit out and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Still , there's next summer for that !

Looks fantastic Roger. Have just started something similar and have reclaimed a lot of the stone from the original garden walls but will need more. Do you know roughly how much a ton of stone covers?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Woodchips2":csrtsvzm said:
How much did you save on the wife's gym membership? :lol:

Regards Keith
Haha. I wish! Actually, unless I paid out for her gym membership she wouldn't have been fit enough to help as much as she did.
No skills":csrtsvzm said:
Looks very good Roger, is this the house finished now or do you have other major work to do?
No plans for any more major building work. Got a fence to build, and after that I'm looking forward to getting back to furniture building. Got a TV unit and a kitchen table to build. And I've been told our bedroom needs decorating :( Can't understand it, 'cos it's only 22 years since I last did it. :(
stevep":csrtsvzm said:
Lovely job , it's just a pity winter is coming so you can't sit out and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Still , there's next summer for that !
We've managed quite a few meals and got through an alarming number of bottles of wine this summer Steve! :)
porker":csrtsvzm said:
Looks fantastic Roger. Have just started something similar and have reclaimed a lot of the stone from the original garden walls but will need more. Do you know roughly how much a ton of stone covers?
Thanks Porker. The guidelines that Yennadon quarry uses is 1.5 - 2 sq m per ton for medium walling stone, and 2 - 2.5 sq m per ton for small walling stone, and I found that worked out pretty much as advised. My calculations suggested 19 tons would be needed, and I had just under a ton ( about 2/3 of a dumpy bag) over when I had finished, and I'll find a use for that someday,

Thanks Porker. The guidelines that Yennadon quarry uses is 1.5 - 2 sq m per ton for medium walling stone, and 2 - 2.5 sq m per ton for small walling stone, and I found that worked out pretty much as advised. My calculations suggested 19 tons would be needed, and I had just under a ton ( about 2/3 of a dumpy bag) over when I had finished, and I'll find a use for that someday,

Thanks for the link Roger and the info. I used to live in Devon but I guess you need to source something like stone closer to home because of the cost but also to match with the local stone. The strange thing with my place is that there is a lot of York stone (3"-4" thick flags) which isn't like the local stone in Bucks. So my dilemma is finding some which looks right but doesn't cost a fortune.

Hi Roger
If you would like to see a photo of the chains used as a water duct there is a good picture on the the RIBAJ site. Just google the Olivetti building in Derby. The building was considered to be iconic in the sixties and has recently been refurbed. Sorry but I don't have the talent to send on the photo.
Mike

Hi Roger M,

A superb landscaping job, thanks for sharing.

Just FYI, I know nothing whatever about building as a trade, and even less about current UK Building Regs, etc, but just to confirm some of the posts above, we used to live in Singapore (where it really DOES know how to rain!) and while there our Clubs' newly refurbished "Multi Purpose Hall" (Badminton courts, stage, etc, etc) fitted exactly the sort of rainwater "downpipe" chains mentioned above.

The building was basically open-sided on 3 sides with a large pitched roof with I think 5 or 6 large vertical supporting posts along the length of each long "wall" and about 3 on one of the ends. Each of those had a pretty large steel chain hanging from the eaves (perhaps 6 inches dia?) and each chain ended just on top of a small soak pit in the ground which was lined with pretty large stones & then gravel.

As I say, no idea if this would be acceptable in UK but it looked fine, and when it rained (real monsoon-type stuff, virtually every afternoon or evening there) the chains worked fine - no flooding in the MPH.

That may help, I dunno. Meantime, again, a lovely job and something you can both be proud of for many years to come.

AES

Looks fantastic Roger.
On the chains, I've only seen them on one building in the uk, at the westgate building I used to clean on Hanger lane and even then then just on the substation for the site if you like. They stumped me for a minute but the Bulgarian I was working with told me straight off what they were for.

Back