Cheapo palm router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two versions of the clone router, one with a plastic body and clear base and one with a half metal body and metal/black plastic base. Which is the preferred model? The clear base makes the most sense for visibility and is cheapest by a few quid yet the metal version makes sense for overall strength I would imagine. Are the bases between each inter compatible?

MikeJhn":1nsi29f5 said:
Link to the full kit: http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101749-katsu- ... -700w.html ordered about 10 mins ago, will let everyone know when it arrives.

Mike

What do you get with the full kit?

Unless I am missing something, the full kit is the trimmer, plunge base and tilt base for £83.99

But buying the three items separately it only comes to £60.58.

Geordie Joe":2isfe8g2 said:
MikeJhn":2isfe8g2 said:
Link to the full kit: http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101749-katsu- ... -700w.html ordered about 10 mins ago, will let everyone know when it arrives.

Mike

Unless I am missing something, the full kit is the trimmer, plunge base and tilt base for £83.99

And according to the description you only get one collet with the set, but two with the router bought on its own. Something not right about their listing I suspect, must be more in the set than they are quoting in the description.

Terry.

Wizard9999":2fya2q0k said:
Geordie Joe":2fya2q0k said:
MikeJhn":2fya2q0k said:

Mike

And according to the description you only get one collet with the set, but two with the router bought on its own. Something not right about their listing I suspect, must be more in the set than they are quoting in the description.

Terry.

Good point about the collet, I had assumed that the full set would be 3 boxes, trimmer, plunge and tilt base put into 1 bigger box and posted out. Therefore everything in the trimmer bought on it's own would also be in the full set.

The problem is their web site is not big on descriptions of the items. I suspect they just buy in the boxes and copy whatever text is on the box without ever knowing what the item in the box is, or what it is used for.

MikeJhn":1snt73jo said:
Never seen this router with a plastic body, have you a link?

Mike

41c3okKOF9L.jpg

VS

m2Jpr4pD7KB_n6_OMj3g4Cg.jpg

Obviously it pays to shop around..... is also quite........ a lot of fun..... saving money. Money saved, is money earned and can be spent on something else.
A fool and his money are soon parted :)

monkeybiter":67zx8emp said:
I don't like the look of the clamping system on that plastic 'Merry'.
I have both models and of the two I trust the clamping presure of the plastic base a lot more than I the metal one which seems to have a very light clamping presure and no obvious way of adjusting it. I do prefer the metal model in every other respect though and use it a lot.

Col.

Walney Col":nt7y5ww9 said:
monkeybiter":nt7y5ww9 said:
I have both models and of the two I trust the clamping presure of the plastic base a lot more than I the metal one which seems to have a very light clamping presure and no obvious way of adjusting it. I do prefer the metal model in every other respect though and use it a lot.

Col.

If you open it (lift the clamp) there is a nut attached to the cog/knob bolt. The clamp pushes against that nut when you close it, thus pulling everything together. I think if you tighten that nut a touch it should clamp tighter. Mine it tight enough as it is, but there is about 2 or 3mm of play between the nut and the side of the clamp.

Walney Col":2ldk7vsb said:
Geordie Joe":2ldk7vsb said:
If you open it (lift the clamp) there is a nut attached to the cog/knob bolt.
I noticed that as well and thourght it might be adjustment but on mine at least the nut's tightened all the way down anyway. :-/

You could remove the nut, add a couple of little washers and then re-attach the nut. That might give you a little more squeeze on the bolt.

Walney Col":2m7uy0ii said:
monkeybiter":2m7uy0ii said:

Col.

Are the bases interchangeable? I quite like the thought of a plastic base, just because I think it would give a better view of things.

What are the main differences between the machines?

Geordie Joe":3jly78or said:
Are the bases interchangeable? I quite like the thought of a plastic base, just because I think it would give a better view of things.

You can buy a Makita clear base protector for £4 and it is held on with four screws the same as the Katsu (RT0700c) style base. But whether the hole positioning is exactly the same can probably only be known for sure if some body has both...

...so Walney Col, what is the answer....

Terry.

Geordie Joe":10t27pp2 said:

My plastic one is fixed speep whereas my metal one is variable from 11,000 to (I think) 30,000.
The plastic base letting a lot more light into where the action's going on is a big plus point imo.
I've never tried swapping the bases over but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Col.

Walney Col":xlq35j0l said:
Geordie Joe":xlq35j0l said:

My plastic one is fixed speep whereas my metal one is variable from 11,000 to (I think) 30,000.
The plastic base letting a lot more light into where the action's going on is a big plus point imo.
I've never tried swapping the bases over but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Col.

Thanks, I prefer my variable speed one, but I fancy a transparent base. I intend to buy a plunge base and if the transparent base fits the katsu I'll get one at the same time.

Wizard9999":j83oozrx said:
I had always assumed the plastic bodied / clear base model was a copy of a different Makita...

Terry.

Yep, after looking around ebay and amazon they are described as being compatible with different Matikas. However, that doesn't mean both Matikas are not the same size and the bases are not interchangeable.

Back