Mechanical variable speed problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkTooke

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Fox F46-717a lathe, there is a problem with the manual variable speed. When I push the speed lever it is stiff to push but the speed does not increase, in fact the spindle slows or stops an has no torque. I removed the cover and when pushing the lever to speed the drive wheel it opens/widens (normal I believe) and the (new) drive belt becomes loose and the spindle looses torque. I pull the lever back the back in the direction to slow the spindle and the drive wheel closes and the belt tightens and I have torque. The motor does not sound like it is changing speed during this exercise. I wonder if the motor is knackered or if hopefully it's a less serious problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Mark Tooke

Suspect you have never greased the motor pulley drive shaft ( once a month job if used regularly) and the spring loaded pulley flanges are not closing.

The only other thing that might have happened is that the inner fixed coned flange grub screws have loosened and the flange has moved nearer the motor.

Hi Chas,
No I have not greased the motor pulley drive shaft. Would a good clean up and greasing possibly rectify the issue? There is a lot of black muck in the housing, I guess from drive belt wear.

Regular cleaning out of the debris, appropriate light greasing of motor shaft, there should be a grease nipple in the end, and a dry lubricant (PTFE) on the headstock linkage and pulley systems is the norm.

You may find this thread of interest Basically a different problem but there are useful images and discussion.

buzzby":16z7qz54 said:
Any recommendations on what grease gun to use on the motor shaft?

A Simple pre loaded push one like This from Axi will last the life of the machine and several others.

Not the best of nipples if the motor point is flat and ball bearing sealed but if you hold it square on it should work OK.

Back