Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - just finished reading this entire thread from start to here and I'm genuinely floored by all the excellent work that has gone into this.

For someone who is only now discovering the joy of woodworking this is very inspirational. Not only because of what was achieved but also because each step of the way where you have made mistakes or thought of a better way to do it, you have put effort in to describe it. A great detailed learning read for me and an awesome man-cave for you.

hope you get many years of happiness out of it! =D>

Now to begin my own search for a Ray should i need one...

So I've just finished reading this through from the start - it's been an addictive read over the last few days. It's got it all, sex (well, the odd date here and there), drugs (plenty of ibruprofen by the sounds of it) and rock and roll (folk music but close enough). Given that the BBC are about to have a primetime slot empty soon, I'm sure there'll be in touch to turn it into a TV programme (actually if Channel 4 get interested you could benefit from a bidding war).

The workshop and all the surrounding bits and pieces look fantastic, and its been hugely positive seeing how its all come together including all the ups and downs, as well as all the support from people throughout.

Hopefully a few more Workshop Essentials will be on the way soon :)

Sphinx and JR
Thank you both very much indeed. It has indeed been a rollercoaster. Although it not totally finished ( the two gable walls need painting) the build is otherwise finished and I love it. I can't really believe it's mine TBH, and it wouldn't be if it had not been for the support of friends. Especially Ray, of course, but not only him.
I was mentally ill when I started this, and I'm not sure at what point one is "cured", but I do know that if I had been properly sane I would not have embarked on this, so there is some silver lining in every bonkers cloud. Now the challenge is to use it profitably. I have to survive seven years and I don't have seven years of piggy bank...
If only I could transport everything from Kirkby-in-Ashfield to Ambridge I'd be a lot happier (although the crime rate in Ambridge seems to be statistically somewhat above average these days, nearly as bad as KIA...).

Steve Maskery":sy7r92xa said:
Sphinx and JR
Thank you both very much indeed. It has indeed been a rollercoaster. Although it not totally finished ( the two gable walls need painting) the build is otherwise finished and I love it. I can't really believe it's mine TBH, and it wouldn't be if it had not been for the support of friends. Especially Ray, of course, but not only him.
I was mentally ill when I started this, and I'm not sure at what point one is "cured", but I do know that if I had been properly sane I would not have embarked on this, so there is some silver lining in every bonkers cloud. Now the challenge is to use it profitably. I have to survive seven years and I don't have seven years of piggy bank...
If only I could transport everything from Kirkby-in-Ashfield to Ambridge I'd be a lot happier (although the crime rate in Ambridge seems to be statistically somewhat above average these days, nearly as bad as KIA...).

Steve,
Knowing how you were at the start and how you are now. "Ray" should be available on the National Health.

Being a kindly bloke, if I was close by I'd be happy to come over and help you out. I have stuff like concrete breaker Kango, scaffold tower a strong back.
Looks like a nice space you have to work with.

It's a bit late now mate! :)
But thank you for the kindly thought
Actually, a scaffolding tower would still be useful, I've not got round to finishing the outside gable walls. It should have been done this "summer" but we didn't have one until late August, by which time I was engaged on another domestic project. I suspect it will have to wait until next year now. Where does the time go?
It is indeed a nice space. I'm not the tidiest of workers, and I haven't organised the interior as well as it can be, but at the mo I am making a roomful of wainscotting and thoroughly enjoying it. I keep catching myself smiling at the pleasure so I think that means I am happy.. It's a nice feeling.

Any chance of a wainscoting WIP thread? It's on mu todo list, stairs first as a trial then if all ok I'll do the living room.

It's not your workshop that's getting the wainscoting is it?

Epic.. really Epic..

Well done Sir you filled up my Sunday with a good read. I came off a ladder many years ago and damaged my back so I always have Sunday off to rest it before work on Monday, your build has been the best book I've read in years thank you.. :-D

As always Steve, this thread is a monster (138 pages!!!!!! Wow!) - so much so that I think it needs a contents page.

I'm off now to try and find which page your roof detailing is on......

Back