Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":br3yt5wp said:
Good idea. I'll stand around with a camera whilst the others sweat and strain with the doors. I don't see a problem with that! :)

I see, and I suppose it will be edited to show it was the two screwing-up not the marker-outer that caused that 2mm gap difference.
Steve Maskery":br3yt5wp said:
.... ., but two people holding and two people screwing should be a doddle... ..

Steve Maskery":1yn9oqd1 said:
Good idea. I'll stand around with a camera whilst the others sweat and strain with the doors. I don't see a problem with that! :)

Knowing how Pete tends to take a "supervisory role" it looks like just Me & Ray then :lol:
I have my braces in standby but no sweat bands.

Funny sort of day.

You will remember that the temporary doors look like this:

P1040917.JPG

Ray arrived with mega-cake from Chris. Now Chris does a lot of baking, but this was delish even by her standards, raspberry and yoghurt cake

raspberryyoghurtcake.jpg

Then Jim Lurker turned up and then Pete. Both were in an argumentative mood. Pete was muttering about the changed one-way system and complaining about how he'd had to come via Sheffield, and how he wasn't used to having a hangover. We'll get more to the arguing later.

So we took one door off and removed the hinges.

P1040919.JPG

The first door needed hardly any fitting. The hinge mortices needed a bit of adjustment, and a couple of mil off the top corner, but that was about it. This, however, cuased a couple of arguments...

Pete: These mortices are on the wrong face.
Steve: No they're not.
P: Yes they are.
S: No they're not
P: Ah. No they're not. I've been drinking.

And, when we were fitting the hinges to the door...

Jim: These hinges are on upside down.
Steve: No they're not.
J: Yes they are.
S: No they're not.
J: Yes they are. Ah, no they're not.

Cantankerous old pippers, the pair of them.

But once we'd established that all was well the first door went in easily

P1040920.JPG

P1040921.JPG

The second door was more problematic, as the frame is a bit bowed outwards, so that involved a bit of work with a plane and then adjusting the depth of the hinge mortice. Also the cill is bowed upwards a bit, so we had to trim this door quite a bit more than the first.

This is Pete's first time with a TS55

P1040922.JPG

When that was up, it was time to fit the cladding. I'd already prepped it all, but it was a bit tight when I did it, I expected to have to trim them. As it was, it's been so hot these past few days that they had shrunk and we had some gaps to even out. But some were too long now that we had trimmed the door. We couldn't find the pencil to mark them. We knew we'd had it, but where was it.? In Jim's pocket, that's where, along with the drill bit we couldn't find earlier and the screwdriver bit we couldn't find later. If he comes round to yours, nail everything down.

P1040923.JPG

P1040924.JPG

P1040925.JPG

Finally it was time for the cap strips, one on the outside and one on the inside.

P1040928.JPG

Then Ray had to go, but I pressed Pete and Jim into staying. Pete fitted the hardware for me and Jim tried to see what else he could get into his pockets. After they'd gone (I frisked Jim, just to be on the safe side) I found he'd left his hat and I'd forgotten to give Pete a chisel for him to deal with for me. Hey ho.

Attachments

• raspberryyoghurtcake.jpg
    raspberryyoghurtcake.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P1040917.JPG
    P1040917.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P1040919.JPG
    P1040919.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P1040920.JPG
    P1040920.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P1040921.JPG
    P1040921.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 3,513
  • P1040922.JPG
    P1040922.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 3,513
  • P1040923.JPG
    P1040923.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 3,513
  • P1040924.JPG
    P1040924.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P1040925.JPG
    P1040925.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P1040928.JPG
    P1040928.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 3,514
I carried on filling nail holes and painting and now it looks like this.

P1040929.JPG

P1040931.JPG

I still have the inside to finish.

Even if I say so myself, I think it looks blooming marvelous. Thank you all three for your hard work today. It's very much appreciated.

I'm absolutely knackered, and would like to curl up with a bottle of wine, but instead I've got to be all clever as I've signed up for a pub quiz team. Got to go.

Attachments

• P1040929.JPG
    P1040929.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 3,512
  • P1040931.JPG
    P1040931.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 3,514
I remembered the chisel about half way home but the thought of that one way system was too much.

It looks great now those doors are on, now get that garden sorted! :wink: :D

Pete

That's looking a lot better! You're right to be chuffed.

I like the hefty overhang on the roof, I think they're worth their weight in gold.

monkeybiter":32qgrtqj said:
That's looking a lot better! You're right to be chuffed.

I like the hefty overhang on the roof, I think they're worth their weight in gold.

It worked well as a sun shade today

Steve, you now need some fake hinges and diamonds to make the double doors look as happy as the small shutters :lol:

I don't think he can't wait until Christmas the poor pencil is only about 2" long :shock:

Pete

Although I might have put quite a lot of effort into presenting myself to the world as an expert on the bandsaw, I am ashamed to say that my own machine has been languishing somewhat in recent years. It was in a barn for a couple of years, then moved here and put in a log cabin and covered with other junk, then wheeled down the garden into my workshop a year or more ago. I've not touched it since, not from a maintenance point of view, anyway. It still had the same blade on it as I used when I was in my old workshop and the barn conditions haven't done it or the MDF fine-adjuster fence any favours.

So yesterday I stripped it down, cleaned the bearings, reassembled it all and fitted a new blade. I could telll the difference from the sound it made. I found an offcut of my door stiles and resawed it. It was only 8" or so long, but it was over 4" deep. Using my digital verniers I measured it all round, Along its edges, top and bottom. The only figure to change was the SECOND DECIMAL PLACE. In millimetres. Did I feel smug? Just a bit. :)

I know, I know. No pictures, it never happened. But it did.

So bouyed by doing something quite well for a change, I decided I'd finish the doors today.

Ray had removed a skin from each of the temporary doors for me, so getting the old insulation out was easy. It was a tad thick for the new ones so every piece has to be ripped. I'll grant you that I could have done this without fettling by BS first...

P1040933.JPG

The pieces were arrange brickwise.

P1040932.JPG

P1040934.JPG

I also cut thinner pieces to make up the thickness over the braces. I thought I'd taken a photo of that, but it would appear that I didn't. Sorry about that.

The cladding was already prepped, so that went on easily.

P1040935.JPG

One down, one to go.

After punching and filling the nail holes, and giving it all a second coat of paint, I have this.

P1040936.JPG

I've also repositioned the cabin hooks on the outside and fitted the rebates. The frame needs to be painted white and there is some touching up to do on the grey outside, where the cabin hooks were before. I also need to fit a bar on the inside. I'll do that tomorrow, but the doors themselves are finished, and I'm very pleased with them.

The only problem is that I forgot how messy the polystyrene is. It gets everywhere. I've cleaned up the workshop pretty well, but my clothes, my hairy arms, my hair and, increasingly, my house, are all covered in little, tiny, sticky white beads of polystyrene.

Attachments

• P1040933.JPG
    P1040933.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 3,155
  • P1040932.JPG
    P1040932.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 3,155
  • P1040934.JPG
    P1040934.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 3,155
  • P1040935.JPG
    P1040935.JPG