Extendable Table Butterfly Opening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev Hallam

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to make an extendable dining table for my boss to repay him for all the Corian he's bought for me.
He know's what he wants, however that entails having a butterfly opening/extension system, I'm sure you'r all familiar with these, but if not check out the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnPV6tiSKE

Any way, I plan on doing some Sketchup designs on figuring it out but figured there may be some people in here familiar with making this kind of table.

I was thinking maybe there's a kit I could get or maybe i'm just being lazy as although makiing/designing the table may be tricky the principal seems pretty basic.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks

I think you can use that video and SketchUp and get the details worked out. I'd like to see if anyone else chimes in so I'll be watching.

Blimey, I hope he got you a truly massive amount of Corian, because that's a very challenging project if you're not to end up with something that's cranky to operate and full of gaps.

Hands up I've never actually made a table like this, but I've worked in workshops where similar designs were being made by craftsmen on benches alongside me, so I've seen it done up close and in detail. It's not easy, at least not if you're aiming for first rate quality. Solid wood components need to be ultra stable and extremely precise, veneered man made boards would make life easier to achieve the engineering levels of precision required.

The FW article previously referenced is pretty useful.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back