That was a stupid thing to do.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Earlier I managed to get my shirt ( thick rugby type) tangled in my belt sander as it powered down.
As I turned the sander around I caught the switch and the sander dragged a lump of shirt deep into the drive wheel.
Only by luck did I not get injured.
Took me quite a while to get the shirt out and that was only by cutting it away.

Make sure to keep wearing the shirt and if anyone comments on the damage, just say you fell on the wrong side at the ruck!

I caught my hoodie in my new rotex recently. Funny afterwards but not so good at the time. It ripped the front kangaroo style pocket right off lol.

Many years ago working late on a poorly lit site in winter. I was hanging doors and using my old elu planer (very powerful). I went to zip up my jacket and found most of the zip missing. Turns out at some point I had planed off the bottom 6 inches of zip lol

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

lurker":3nimohxq said:
Earlier I managed to get my shirt ( thick rugby type) tangled in my belt sander as it powered down.
As I turned the sander around I caught the switch and the sander dragged a lump of shirt deep into the drive wheel.
Only by luck did I not get injured.
Took me quite a while to get the shirt out and that was only by cutting it away.

I always take my belt off when I sand it, its far safer :wink:

Pete

Touch wood the only injury I've had in the workshop has been from my bench mounted belt sander. I was using the end of the sander (to curve rudolf's ears) when it flicked the piece of wood up and away leaving just my knuckle to be sanded. Happened in a split second but it was a really deep chunk it took out and took ages to heal.

As for loose clothing I normally only wear speedos so I'm not too concerned about that! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised to find how quickly sand paper can cause damage to skin, although it should have been obvious since it damages wood quickly enough. Anyhow I am more careful now when I hold wood on the belt / disc sanding machine. My finger tip took a long time to heal properly.

K

I mounted the arbour from my table saw in the drill press so that I could sand a whisker off one of the bearing surfaces that was too tight. Stupidly forgot to check the speed, and when turned on at max speed, the slight off centre alignment rapidly worsened until it flung the 2kg arbour across the shed at something approaching warp speed. It left a hefty gouge in the shed wall, all in less than the time it took me to flick the switch the opposite way. Bloody fool!

Left a chuck key in a big lathe many years ago. It's quite surprising just how fast they can travel :)

Nearly shat myself. Never did it again though.

I always remember in the woodworking shop at school one of my classmate was using a large linisher and his tie got dragged in. Lucky enough one of my mates was near by to switch the machine off. Just got a picture of a grated face coming to mind every time I think about it.

I can remember having my first go at woodturning, it was at the first school I was teaching in and the woodwork master allowed a few of us staff to use the workshop. I had no issues but the young lady with long hair who was polishing a silver ring mounted on a wooden mandrel on the lathe was SOOO lucky she wasn't pulled in by her hair. I don't think any of us even noticed the danger at the time. It was only when reading about such accidents that I realised afterwards.

I did have a kick back of sorts on my table saw once though. I was cutting two pieces of wood, one on top of the other, when the top piece came at me like a bullet and hit me in the stomach. Two lessons learned - don't stack wood for cutting, and don't stand in the line of fire of the blade. Easy with hindsight.

K

Caught hold of my keyless chuck in the Bridgeport a few months ago. Not concentrating 100% and I didn't realise it was spinning. Didn't hurt myself but scared the hell out of me. I have since painted a white mark on it with tipex so I can more easily see it is spinning. Nothing wrong with my eyesight either so no excuses.

All this stupidness doesn't even come close... You should've married my ex. :-(

graduate_owner":3rcw5xra said:
I can remember having my first go at woodturning, it was at the first school I was teaching in and the woodwork master allowed a few of us staff to use the workshop. I had no issues but the young lady with long hair who was polishing a silver ring mounted on a wooden mandrel on the lathe was SOOO lucky she wasn't pulled in by her hair. I don't think any of us even noticed the danger at the time. It was only when reading about such accidents that I realised afterwards.

I remember a long-haired lady, in a metal workshop I ran in the 80's. She was operating a single-spindle automatic lathe (a Brown & Sharpe, I think it was, the old type with cams). Her hair somehow got entangled on the stock and she was spinned over the stock tube. Not pretty. She was properly scalped, but suvived.

When you start to think of it, the number of frightening episodes one can recall is incredible.

Scalped.. omg makes my fingers being dragged into a belt sander seem trivial.

Stormer1940":gbsxsgia said:
I always remember in the woodworking shop at school one of my classmate was using a large linisher and his tie got dragged in. Lucky enough one of my mates was near by to switch the machine off. Just got a picture of a grated face coming to mind every time I think about it.

I had the misfortune to be in a DT class when one of my classmates dared another one to press his nose to the pedestal grinding wheel... Luckily the guard saved his face from being pulled onto the wheel and the Technician spotted him leaning in and hit the E-Stop that cut off all the machines at once. The still spinning wheel took the tip of his nose off though... The lad was much mocked for his flat nose for the next 4 years.

scribing skirtings late one night in my kitchen and i needed to take a little more material off the back end. Picked up an old swiss made bosch belt sander in one hand skirting in the other. I was tired and frustrated and knew i should be leaving it till the next day

Locked the belt sander on and off i went..removed some material and lifted the skirting up to check, as i lifted with one arm i relaxed the hand holding the belt sander in the other.. At that point it had the toggle off my joggers into the machine and it was a life or death strugle to stop my boaby being pulled in next. I was quick thinking enough to yank the machine from the socket but i never did recover my joggers and they went into the bin along with a 10 year old belt sander

Leasson learned. When you are tired and its late put the tools down and get some rest... Also a good idea to secure either the workpeice or the tool and use both hands

Dont think bosch tools are made in Switzerland anymore either.. That was one durable sander

Latest posts

Back