Sharpening band saw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartypit

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a band saw blade sharpening service..or is it not worth it? If not, where do people recommend buying band saw blades from? I have a Record bandsaw. Thanks

bartypit":1plr64no said:
or is it not worth it?
For a small 'hobby' bandsaw blades, probably not. A new blade is about £15 delivered, maybe less if you order several at one time.
By the time you've either paid for postage each way, or accounted for travelling costs, just taking a blade for sharpening might cost as much, before the cost of sharpening (How much does labour cost per hour ? how long would it take ?).

Just get one from Tuff Saws you won't read a bad word about them here.

Our local saw doctor sharpens them. They come back very sharp but don't always cut dead straight as they don't set the teeth (hard edge - would break). Still useful though.
Try your local man.

This is the way I now sharpen my blades having had the link passed on by another forumite:-

bandsharp.jpg

See this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UygEQ-079Ws

I do now have an ultra fine wheel on one of my grinders which makes life easier but a white 80/100 was OK before that.

Attachments

• bandsharp.jpg
    bandsharp.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 464
CHJ":5izwdg5n said:
This is the way I now sharpen my blades having had the link passed on by another forumite:-

See this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UygEQ-079Ws

I do now have an ultra fine wheel on one of my grinders which makes life easier but a white 80/100 was OK before that.

I would have thought this method was a better idea, Safer and more controllable than the Dremel,
You could get several sharpens like this.
In our Sawshop, We had a machine do this using a file in the holder, When it broke down we had to file and set the blade by hand.
As the wheels were 30" across, the blade was probably More than 20 ft long :shock:
Regards Rodders

Thanks for replies. Watched the video. Have to say the guy didn't half ramble on! I will buy a tuff saw blade, abs have a go at sharpening too!
Jane

bartypit":1l9cabh7 said:
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a band saw blade sharpening service..or is it not worth it? If not, where do people recommend buying band saw blades from? I have a Record bandsaw. Thanks

I have an electric sharpener for chain saws I wonder if that would work i:e with the blade off the saw in a horizontal position.
I used to give my large bandsaw a quick touch with the angle grinder and I mean a light touch
Timber

timber":dlsq8yng said:
bartypit":dlsq8yng said:

I have an electric sharpener for chain saws I wonder if that would work i:e with the blade off the saw in a horizontal position.
I used to give my large bandsaw a quick touch with the angle grinder and I mean a light touch
Timber

I considering trying this and making a jig but concluded it would take a too long to sharpen anything but a very coarse blade. I am going to try the dremel and the bench grinder method but mostly I think I will be sticking to judt buying new ones, my main blade is either a 10 or 14tpi and that is just too much wasted time, for my 14 tpi blades that is approx 1200 teeth to sharpen.

Rorschach":2el0eg3x said:
timber":2el0eg3x said:
bartypit":2el0eg3x said:

Timber

I considering trying this and making a jig but concluded it would take a too long to sharpen anything but a very coarse blade. I am going to try the dremel and the bench grinder method but mostly I think I will be sticking to judt buying new ones, my main blade is either a 10 or 14tpi and that is just too much wasted time, for my 14 tpi blades that is approx 1200 teeth to sharpen.

Yep! I quite agree one needs a fine wheel and less TPI. I may have ago, and also with the Dremel type tool. I think one would be lucky if the saw would cut as straight as the new Tuff saws afterwards. Experimenting is more interesting for me than turning bowls. NO disrespect to bowl turners
Timber

I have seen bandsaw sharpening machines in action and I have,when desperate,sharpened a 10'6" 6tpi blade with a 35 mm Roloc disc in a small air driven grinder.I still buy blades from my local supplier.They just work as soon as I fit them.

Back