Technical Drawing/Drafting Books?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a comprehensive text on drafting, as documented elsewhere on the forum, I'm currently in the process of making punch, die and toolholder for a flypress, and have had to prepare engineering drawings of the parts before I machine them.

As the drawings are forecmy own reference it doesn't matter too much, but it's tested my knowledge of technical drawing, and I'd really like to learn more, as i intend to move on to more complicated projects in time to come.

(Before anyone mentions it, i really dislike sketchup and no longer have access to a licence of solidedge or solidworks so CAD is out... Plus hand drawing is far more relaxing.)

Maybe a coursework book for engineering drawing would help.

There used to be a British Standard for drawing, BS 308 from memory, but wouldve changed to a ISO standard many years ago.

I have always preferred drawing by hand, but am finally teaching myself cad, its a very steep learning curve, but getting there slowly.

I did both O level and A level engineering drawing. There is no doubt correctly set out drawings are worthwhile and its a very useful discipline to learn, even if graduating to cad later on.

Cant help with books, developed my own style of hand drawing, drawing board is now used as a layout table in my office, use CAD all the time now, in order to make changes and alterations, easier, last set of drawings I made had 20 + customer revisions!

Draftsight is a good option if you choose to use CAD, the basic version is free:

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

'Workshop Drawing' by Tubal Cain ( number 13 in the 'Workshop Practice' series) has been around for some years. It's only a slim volume, but it's written by an ex-draughtsman in a very accessible style, and is remarkably comprehensive for it's size. Costs about £7. Highly recommended.

HOJ":1n2uiifh said:
Cant help with books, developed my own style of hand drawing, drawing board is now used as a layout table in my office, use CAD all the time now, in order to make changes and alterations, easier, last set of drawings I made had 20 + customer revisions!

Draftsight is a good option if you choose to use CAD, the basic version is free:

Hi, just as an aside to your recommendation of Drafsight - which is, in my opinion a great product for 2D drafting and Free.

For those looking for full 3D Autocad functionality but at a fraction of the price of Autocad, I'd recommend a program called Progecad. If you are familiar with Autocad then migrating to Progecad is seamless absolutely no learning curve at all.

I've been using Progecad for three or four years now and highly recommend it.

like most software, they have a 30 day free trial.

Kind regards

Dave.

Back