Dakota 16 gauger nail gun kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Need advice.

After reading a previous thread on the subject & quality of nail guns, I have been into the Rutlands website (never used them before) to take a look.

Although I feel a little pricy the Dakota system looked good, although I must point out that I haven't used a nail gun in the past, old fashioned hammers for me. But now I intend to do some decking and trellising, heance the gun.

Bottom line is, can anyone give me advise opn this particular piece of kit, or any other that you might suggest I take a look at.

Much appreciated.

One last point, I've only been crusing the site for about 3 weeks and have gained a lot of useful knowledge. Thanks

Waka

Hi Waka,

I bought the old Dakota 18g kit the other week just when the sale started (when the newer versions came out) and I'm very impressed with it. Although haven't used it much yet as soon as I got it I started to pack the workshop up but it'll be getting alot of use in the new house.

I use Stanley's Bostich range, which I like a lot, but it is the only system I've used, so no comparison. I have nailers for finish nails, 16g nails, staples and a heavy duty nailer for roofing/decking etc, as well as the paslode for cordless work.
My advice would be to avoid a nail gun for decking unless it is very heavy duty (or the paslode). Use decking screws!

A

Aragorn,

I'm glad you are happy with the Boatich range. I've got their finish stapler on my 'list' :)

Charley

been back into the Rutlands site again and notice that the 18g is cheaper than the 16g. Please inform the ignorant.

Regarding Aragorns reply, I have to admit I didn;t know there was so many variations of gun out there. Whole new minefield for me.

Get the point aboput the decking screws thanks, I would have gone completely down the wrong road on that one.

Anymore advice would be welcome, in the meantime its back to the nail gun reading.

Thanks

Waka.

Waka":1lg9cb8w said:
... notice that the 18g is cheaper than the 16g. Please inform the ignorant

18g nails are thinner than 16g so the nailgun is more "light duty" hence cheaper. By "light duty" I only mean that it's a smaller machine, not that it isn't fit to fire 18g nails.
Use 18g nails for most finish nailing tasks such as pinning mouldings. I use the 16g nailer for more heavy duty tasks such as solid fixing of batons or fixing whilst glue dries (for some kinds of carpentry - not furniture making). Nails are available for both 18g & 16g up to 50mm. The 18g nailer may be most suitable for "everyday" workshop kind of applications.

A

I'm with Aragorn on the Bostich kit. The 18g is a cracker wee gun. Think the newer models are even better and lighter with more magnesium being used.

Rgds

Noel

Latest posts

Back