Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cabinet for the vestibule of a Romanian Orthodox Church.
For the sale of candles, incense, small icons, crucifixes and such.
Made to resemble somewhat the seats (stacidia) around the nave.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

A play table and chairs made for my niece's one and three year old daughters. Mostly constructed from reclaimed chestnut from old wardrobes. Made the table top round so they couldn't argue about who sits where. The table legs splay about 10 degrees for stability which made the drawer construction slightly tricky. Finished with Osmo but not sure how this will hold up against paint and felt tips.

DSCF8366.JPG

DSCF8389.JPG

I used Inkscape for several years to produce manufacturing drawings for various projects when I was employed. The company only used open source and free software. Inkscape drawing tools are a bit 'strange' to use, especially drawing curves. The click, drag, then right or left click, I find awkward and frustrating to use, so you are not alone!! What are you trying to draw? I would be happy to try help you if I can and I'm sure there are experienced users of Inkscape on here who can help.
Thanks for your offer. I'm not trying to do anything in particular at this time but if I come up with a need, I'll contact you. I am learning it a bit at a time and am actually succeeding in some things.

Here is something that I knocked out in just a few hours.
An easy one. It was supposed to be a flower vase but I wanted to use it as a candle holder. I found a set of 2" diameter flameless candles, 2, 4, 6 inches each. This one is the 6". I had to alter the pattern a bit to allow for an opening in the base to access the switch and battery cover. The top and bottom are of oak and the sides are cherry. Just Watco oil for a finish. I might shoot a coat or 2 of spray shellac to give a bit of sheen. All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 20220614_091509.jpg
    20220614_091509.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
A play table and chairs made for my niece's one and three year old daughters. Mostly constructed from reclaimed chestnut from old wardrobes. Made the table top round so they couldn't argue about who sits where. The table legs splay about 10 degrees for stability which made the drawer construction slightly tricky. Finished with Osmo but not sure how this will hold up against paint and felt tips.

View attachment 137754

View attachment 137755
Well done, especially like the single piece drawer face, and the surrounding board. fair play.

So today I made another silver birch podlet but as I was parting it off the base flew apart so I cleaned up the end of the stem and finished it with furniture wax that had melted due to the heat, then I took an iroko pallet block and turned a very quick twig pot for it to sit in and finished that with Danish Oil
20220616_164342.jpg
20220616_164352.jpg
20220616_164408.jpg
20220616_164419.jpg
20220616_164427.jpg
20220616_164508.jpg
20220616_173001.jpg
20220616_173007.jpg
20220616_173014.jpg

Stigmorgan, I'm fascinated by your pieces, looking at them you must generate an awful lot of shavings. What do you do with it all?

Martin

Stigmorgan, I'm fascinated by your pieces, looking at them you must generate an awful lot of shavings. What do you do with it all?

Martin
Thank you 😊
Quite a few shavings, almost half get mixed into the school allotment compost bins and the rest I bag up and the binmen take them for me (I look after them at Xmas and they look after me all year 😁😁😁😁😁) although lately I've been very very lazy and have a compacted 3inch layer on the floor of my maker space, it's alot more comfortable to stand on than the bare concrete but I do need to clean up this weekend.

Thank you 😊
Quite a few shavings, almost half get mixed into the school allotment compost bins and the rest I bag up and the binmen take them for me (I look after them at Xmas and they look after me all year 😁😁😁😁😁) although lately I've been very very lazy and have a compacted 3inch layer on the floor of my maker space, it's alot more comfortable to stand on than the bare concrete but I do need to clean up this weekend.
I bag up my shavings (I try to keep MDF out) and offer them on freecycle as pet bedding. Its not long before it goes.

I bag up my shavings (I try to keep MDF out) and offer them on freecycle as pet bedding. Its not long before it goes.
Thats not ideal unless you know the woods you ha e are animal safe and are not contaminated by any of your wood finishes, my shavings tend to get sprayed by the oils I use so would not be good for that use.

Thats not ideal unless you know the woods you ha e are animal safe and are not contaminated by any of your wood finishes, my shavings tend to get sprayed by the oils I use so would not be good for that use.
Good call though 90% of the shavings will be pine, the rest probably oak and shouldn't be contaminated by finishes since I only apply by rubbing or occasionally with a brush. Hope that puts your mind to rest.

lefley
nice job....esp the glue lam beam.....
wish we could get straight knot free wood....

Actually here it's cheaper by at least 50% to use steel now.....
easy to bend and hidden fixings....
which is what most people are doing now for purglers n outside frameing etc....
have a few commisions to do this winter....
a piece of cr@p pine 5"x5"x3m long is over 50 euro's....

AE6426B5-CE8B-4190-817F-62BEC108BBBE.jpeg
Something a little different here for me, more of a team effort this one.
I made the 3 rings in the top and the columns themselves, and assisted in the arches very briefly. I also machined and fitted the mouldings on the very top. 4 man install in the capitol city that I was a part of.
A good few months work this.

lefley
nice job....esp the glue lam beam.....
wish we could get straight knot free wood....

Actually here it's cheaper by at least 50% to use steel now.....
easy to bend and hidden fixings....
which is what most people are doing now for purglers n outside frameing etc....
have a few commisions to do this winter....
a piece of cr@p pine 5"x5"x3m long is over 50 euro's....
Ouch !
That's not cheap.
BUT, steel just might become a little more costly thanks to Putin !
Alas, the cost of living !

View attachment 137928Something a little different here for me, more of a team effort this one.
I made the 3 rings in the top and the columns themselves, and assisted in the arches very briefly. I also machined and fitted the mouldings on the very top. 4 man install in the capitol city that I was a part of.
A good few months work this.
A great piece of work - very classy.

Back