Possibly daft MFT question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
So over the last few weeks I’ve become an avid watcher of Pete Millards YouTube channel (hi Pete!)

Anyway the festool mft with the fold down rail was a bit of a revelation to me as I like to work a lot with sheet goods.

Question is do I need to spend 500 quid on a festool mft with accessories to get the same thing, or could I achieve virtually the same thing with a bog standard mft top, and 4 bench dogs ? So two to set the workpiece against and two to put the saw rail against at 90 degrees to the first two ?

I’m looking to build a bench with drawers underneath, so want to know if it has to have a 500 quid top or 50 quid !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paul - have a look at Peter Parfitt's channel and the parf guide system. Not got one myself, as I don't do much with sheet goods, but could be what you are looking for.

LarryS":3a6frb7l said:
Question is do I need to spend 500 quid on a festool mft with accessories to get the same thing, or could I achieve virtually the same thing with a bog standard mft top, and 4 bench dogs ? So two to set the workpiece against and two to put the saw rail against at 90 degrees to the first two

I think so.

In a couple of his videos, Peter M. shows a system he uses with an aluminium extrusion and a movable "flag" stop. It seems to me that will get you very close to the whole MFT system. The only thing extra you get with an MFT is a lifting-up hinge for the rail, so you can just drop it down square every time.

I have a grid-of-holes table. Whilst it works, it's a nuisance making sure either the stock or the rail hasn't drifted away from one of the pegs (dogs). Axminster sell clips that work with their Parf dogs, to hold the rail snug and they are a good idea.

I think, given the huge cost difference between an MFT top on its own and the full Festool system, it's probably worth experimenting. Have a look at https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/tables-mft-tops.html, which is where I got my table from (I have the plywood one).

But Peter M. is far better qualified to comment than me: I'm only a rank amateur.

E.

There are many ways to make good use of an MFT style top without the expense of a full MFT kit. Where Peter's setup comes into it's own is time, it makes the cuts fast AND precise, which if you do it for a living like Peter does, will soon pay for itself.
If you are doing this as a hobby or part time then the other methods will get results that are just as good but they make take a little more time for each cut.

I have the same top and dogs as Eric the Viking and they work very well.
It is worth a punt, and if you do progress to an MFT you will have a spare top or separate work surface.

Thanks for all the very quick and positive responses !

Next step, buy an MFT top, whislt designing the base for my new MFT bench :)

Quick other question - what advantage does a plywood MFT top give over an MDF?

thanks

I have an MFT, and whilst I think it's great, I want to make something more suitable.

Like you, I need storage underneath. I have considered building a cart and putting the MFT on top, but then it is just a really expensive worktop... There are ways and means to accessorize a custom made one that mimicks the functionality of the MFT. Peter Millard touches on some of these in his videos.

I don't think the flip down rail is the be all and end all to be honest. I'm not convinced mine stays square. I trust the rail and workpiece against bench dogs more.

Definitely watch Peter Parfitt's "New Brit Workshop" videos on YouTube to see what can be done with a custom version.

If you build your own you'll have some change to buy more tools... :D I bought mine to do a job quickly, when I had nothing else.

Grawschbags":2qleearw said:
If you build your own you'll have some change to buy more tools... :D

I’m trying to ignore that fact for now ;-)

Plywood versus Valchromat (or similar): I'm not convinced it's any better. The ply table I have is very well made, but it is a little "fluffy" and needs a finishing coat or something similar. I've put machine wax on mine as I didn't want finish to alter the holes. That seems to work well. The aluminium dogs sold by CNC Design are a very snug fit anyway, so I trust its squareness. I suspect that Valchromat will last longer and move around a bit less, but both are pretty stable. You could do worse than ask CNC Designs what they think (they use their own tables!).

Storage underneath: This is a toughie, but don't go wild. A huge part of the usefulness of an MFT is the ability to use clamps through the holes rather than just along the edges, and you need room for those clamps to stick out underneath, and/or room to get your hand in under there to position stuff.. I don't have many holes in my bench*, but I store my welder underneath it, and too often I have to pull it out to allow a holdfast shaft to drop through enough to clamp the way I want it to.

I was all set to buy the Axminster MFT frame a while back, but three things put me off: (1) when assembled it's rather heavy and awkward (the table I have breaks down to simple, flat pieces of plywood), (2) it relies on trestles that need a flat floor - my workshop floor is rough concrete and this wouldn't work, and (3) it's a box construction, with storage inside.

At a first glance that looks good, but then you think about it: once you put a workpiece on top, you can no longer get at the storage! And then you can't use long clamps on the top either, as there's no room. So it's not anything like as useful as you might think at first.

On balance, I would have some storage underneath, if possible, but it would be a rolling-cabinet arrangement , that could be pulled out of the way quickly, and I'd leave at least 8-9" of gap to the underside of the MFT top, so you don't need even to do that most of the time.

The table I have is well thought out. There are horizontal slots, so you can slide a rail into a handy place while you secure the workpiece or whatever, and a couple of narrow shelves with dog holes, to store dogs, clamps, etc., in easy reach. It looks like it was designed by people who use such things! I am really, really pleased with it, although I have to dispose of a motorbike before it gets a semi-permanent spot in the middle of the garage/workshop!

HTH, E.

* I presently use the old Record Holdfast system, with collars sunk into the bench, but it's not flexible enough and I'm going over to the more traditional holdfast approach when I eventually rebuild it.

Further to Eric The Vikings post...

Definitely leave space under the work surface for clamping through the holes if you make your own bench/cart. Search Google/Pintrest for the "Paulk" workbench. This will give you an idea of what clearance is needed. The MFT measures 180mm with the legs folded, and I believe this is sufficient clearance to still allow clamps to pass through.

If you watch his later videos about the bench dogs fence, he explains that he doesn't think an MFT top and parf dogs cuts it, because of the lack of repeatability. So I suggest you watch these two videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DezSQjhcbbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeiGVUd1Tnk

Personally, I can't seem to get on with the parf dogs set up. I find it very fiddly and cumbersome in most cases. I often prefer to just use my 12" speed square to mark a line and then place the track on that to make my cut. Much quicker, simpler and nothing to get in the way (at the downside of accuracy and repeatability). Or ever better would be one of the ridiculously expensive squares you can clip to your track .... maybe when they half the price!

Brilliant info for everyone so thank you, and those videos make a very interesting watch too

transatlantic":3e8yfar8 said:
...Or ever better would be one of the ridiculously expensive squares you can clip to your track .... maybe when they half the price!

I bought one of these direct from TSO when they first came out cheaper than Axminster are currently knocking them out but still eyewatering. It is very, very good.

I'm about to put my MFT table up for sale if it's of any interest.

Nothing wrong with it - I simply don't use it enough to warrant hanging on to it.

I do a lot of sheet material cutting both out on site and in my workshop.

I had this made a while ago by a guy local to me who has a CNC machine and whilst it is a fair lump to move around, its bang on accurate when used with Parf Dogs, a rail saw and the Axminster Rail Clips.

20181115_124456.jpg

Attachments

• 20181115_124456.jpg
    20181115_124456.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 666
Back