Possibly a solution to a non existent problem???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how many they will sell?

Shed loads at that price = $17.95 / £11.06

Pointless but was very pleasantly surprised at the price.

It doesnt detect back bevels, scary sharp methods or argue about what a burr is..........so it must be a pointless device :D

That's really cheap!

I think I could find much better uses for one...now...can you fit a remote alarm to it because I have need for an automatic mole detection trigger!? :mrgreen:

Jimi

If it had slightly better accuracy, and offered plus/minus baseline instead of just plus, then yes, it could be handy. But not for the advertised use. Suspect the designers are related to the if-it-moves-it-needs-a-laser brigade - whether they know what the subject tool is for, or not (as in this case)

Could someone please explain to them that woodworkers have somehow muddled through without this since Ancient Greece?

Jacob! You're needed across the pond!

Jolly good. You could easily rig something up using this device to make sure your sharpening stones are truly flat. if it's accurate to 0.00001 mm, I'm interested.

If you place your hand on a piece of metal it will expand more than 0.00001mm. That's a temperature controlled room, metal left to acclimatise for at least two hours, and not directly touched measurement technology. After al, of that, I'm nit sure you can measure to that level of accuracy!

If it can measure to that level of accuracy prime candidate for a Nobel prize for physics I would say :)

I think a certain amount of "tongue in cheek" is detected here! :wink:

Looking at the spec...accuracy is to one thou and I think (though I may be wrong) the device only acts in a positive direction so I don't think it would work as a depth gauge either.

Still..nice stocking filler! I'm sure it can be used for other things....(other than mole detection that is!)

Jimi

a solution to a non existent problem - I thought this was going to be another exciting sharpening thread!

Jacob":1o88fwe9 said:
MIGNAL":1o88fwe9 said:
...... if it's accurate to 0.00001 mm, I'm interested.
What's that in gnat's whatsits?

I think a gnats is a relative not absolute measurement. An engineering gnats is much smaller than a woodworkers gnats, yet a brickies gnats may be much much larger. Perhaps we need nudgers conversion chart :D

Yes but a Celebrity sharpening gnat is even finer than an engineers and if you think you can do woodwork without that level of accuracy you are gnuts.

Not really that original, I made a similar non digital version years ago

photo_zps74f83709.jpg

Though I never thought of setting my hand planes with it :lol: :lol:

This could be just the sort of thing for salesmen in DIY supermarkets who sell not terribly good planes: they get the demo model properly flattened and then they proudly use the gadget to show how wonderfully flat the plane is, then the happy customer toddles off with a brand new one in a box, which of course has not been flattened etc.

IMHO it's not very good - it's nowhere near accurate enough. What use is +1 1/2 a thou when you're aiming for 1 thou?

It fails, even on its own silly terms.

BugBear

undergroundhunter":2aq0drdg said:
Could kind of see the point on a machine, but no way on a hand plane.

Matt

I agree it might come in handy to ensure your planer thicknesser blades are still set true across their length, but otherwise isn't it the same as a gauge to check deflection?

(and frankly ever since the iPhone / iPod, anything with an "i" in front other than those two just gets on my t*** )

Back