Porcelain tile drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
What do people use?
I have a 20mm hollow diamond bit for pipes etc. I even patented a self centring water cooling mdf jig on the hoof.
Works a treat. Line the small holes with the cross marked on the tile. Pour a splash of water in the hole. Big enough to kneel on so no need to clamp. Bosh. :D

QtfUMGQ.jpg

When the plumber was here though he just used cheap triangular head shaped bits. No diamond malarkey. His opinion was that they are fine but disposable. You can keep cutting plenty of holes but as soon as you stop and let it cool they are for the bin. Work hardening I suppose.
I need to drill a fair few holes for all the accessories like toilet roll holder. Apparently the rad TRV is not suitable as along term solution after all... :-s
("But Love, look! It fits perfectly.")
Anyone got any ideas. Dedicate bit at cost or take the plumbers lead? (That's lead not lead pb mind. :D )
I'd be appreciative of knowing what others do.
Cheers now.
Chris

I don't do a lot of tile drilling, but when necessary I just use a bit for drilling glass (mirrors, etc). Small dia (I think about 8 or 10 mm is the largest I've found, but never looked hard), but if taken slowly, & not too much downwards pressure, they seem to work fine. Tips can be touched up on a stone too. Trick is to keep them cool. I just build a little "dam" with kiddies plasticine (sp?) and keep that full of water.

I guess you know the trick about a small piece of masking tape in the hole position? Stops the drill bit from skidding off when starting the hole.

AES

I've got a set of diamond bits, got them from lidl, came with a suction cup guide that you can run water through too. Nice little bit of kit.

Ordinary masonry bits. Preferably new, but ok as long as they arent worn round.
Put masking tape on the tile and mark on the tape. this stops the drill sliding sideways.

If you need a big hole, drill a 6 or 8 mm first, then enlarge.

dont press too hard, dont go too fast.

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated. Never thought to Google glass bits Aes. Thems the fellas! Thanks. Like the plasticine idea too.
Rorsarch, cheers but due to the cyclical nature of lidlealdis that's probably a no no unless they come in this week but cheers, will store that one up for the next time they come in.
Bob. I'd wondered about masonry bits but I've not seen anyone recommend using them on tiles. The holes needed are small. Probably 6mm without checking. I have some off cuts so I think I'll give this a practice go first. It's free for a start as I already have plenty of bits knocking about.
Many thanks fellas. It's much appreciated.
Just put up the curtain pole for the bedroom. Was going to leave the curtains for the wise one but then I thought ahh sod it. So I'm in the kitchen. Blew the dust off the iron and I'm halfway through ironing f'in curtains. On a Saturday night. Albeit with a cider at hand. I'm wondering if there is a Kraken rum and hooker delivery service online.
I think I might be broken. Someone take me back to the shop ffs. I have the receipt somewhere...
I'm sure I used to have a life.
:shock:
Cheers as always
Chris

I've used Bosch multiconstruction drill bits up to 12mm diameter through
ceramic tiles with no problems. The carbide tips are nice and pointy so a piece of masking tape is enough to stop the drill wandering. Didn't need water either.

Yep, Bosch multi construction are great for all sorts of tough materials, including hardened steel and tile. They're wicked sharp out of the box, and can be touched up with a diamond hone.

I've been doing diy bathrooms for half a century. never used anything except bog standard masonry drills, never broken a tile.

Slow and easy wins the race.

That does look a useful piece of kit Rorschach, I've not noticed it here in our Aldis/Lidls. Must keep an eye out for it - not that I do much of that sort of drilling, but "you never know" do you? Thanks for posting.

AES

Little update.
Thanks to all who posted help and advice. It really is much appreciated. I'm grateful for all your input.
I did try a test drill with the shitearse masonary bits I own Bob. 20 minutes in I was getting nowhere mate and that was on an off cut on the floor. I binned the bit. Think it came from a dewalt set of bts. Not impressed. A good bit might well cut the mustard but mine didn't.
These tiles are nigh on 8mm thick and hard as nails.
Just can't afford to mess up the holes on the walls.
I looked long and hard at the bosch bits and the kit from lidl.
In the end I had to go to the yard today after work in Bermondsey.
There's a screwfix right there. (hammer)
I got the erbauer bit and also an erbauer jig.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diam ... uide/84524
Bit more than I wanted to spend but I have 16 odd holes to drill in the ensuite plus a whole bathroom and a downstairs toilet to do. In the end I thought ahhh fu**it. Sometimes its worth the investment for your time. It has good reviews and looks a good bit of kit out the box. I can always smash it onto ebay after I'm finished and get a few quid back.
Many thanks again for all your help and comments. Much appreciated all.
I'll let you know how I get on with the jig.
Cheers now and thanks again.
Chris

I've only ever found diamond will cut porcelain. You can drill ceramic with carbide masonry drills but my experience is they won't touch porcelain. If using diamond drills use plenty of water to cool and was away the dust. Those guides are indespensible and stop the drill wandering. Once a mm in you dont need it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back