Polishing Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone got any experience of polishing wood on the lathe;
using buffing mops: tripoli: brown or blue polish compounds:
pumice or rottenstone?

Any ideas welcome for this new member.

Welcome to the forum, namrenrut.

It's one of those things that's been on the things to try one day list for a long time, but I haven't yet I'm afraid. (if you could see the length of that particular list, you'd understand why :shock: ). At the risk of groans from all the other media types, I have a feeling there was a bit about it fairly recently in Good Woodworking, or something along those lines anyway. I'll see if I can dig it out later, if no-one else steps in.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Namrenrut,

Welcome to the forum, all or most of my work is finished for galleries and exhibitions, and all get a similar buffing and polishing treatment.

I spray finish with a range of clear or tinted lacquers and after allowing the work to dry for 10 to 14 days I finish by buffing the piece using one of the kits available. I recently reviewed the Oneway Buffing System from Canada on Creative Woodturning and was very impressed, I normally use this or the Chris Stott system for finishing my work. These and other similar systems use the various compounds and different buffing wheels you mention in your posting.

It is all to easy to burn through the lacquer when buffing with a powered system so care must be taken at all times to keep the piece moving on the buffing wheels. It is also important to use some form of respiratory protection when buffing as the fibres that come off the wheels can cause damage to the lungs.

Regards....CC

Back