Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Rorschach
Trevanion wrote:I've always wondered where I stand with my work knife:

Opens with a flick of the hand which is gravity assisted so does that mean it's outright illegal to even own? Or does it fall under a different category since it isn't technically a "blade" as such? They've been selling them for a long time in this country so I assume if nobody's made a fuss by this point they must be OK to some degree?

The laws really aren't clear enough, they say a blade less than 3 inch in length is OK but I've heard of people being arrested for little swiss army knives and similar.

It's a tricky one and totally depends on the Judge and their interpretation. At it's most basic it is a locking knife, so you need a good reason to carry it. Since it's a stanley type, a good reason is simply "I am using it for work" and that will be fine, it's a ubiquitous tool.
The opening method though could get you in trouble if someone really wanted to. I could easily see it can be argued it is a gravity knife, so you take your (very low) chances carrying it.

A similar problem exists with the Stanley folding chisel I own. It's a chisel, common tool, if you are doing DIY or a tradesman no police officer is going to bat an eyelid. Under a technical definition of the law though, it's a butterfly knife pure and simple and I have been advised by a Police officer to be a bit careful about where I use it. No problem using it in his house to do work for him though :lol:
By adidat
A vote for leatherman, I always had a wave but recently got a surge which is really great!
My 3rd one!! As there very attractive to tea leaves it seems!! I'm a carpenter by trade so it's very rarely not attached to my belt and not many a day goes past where it's not used in some way!

The knife edge tends to form a wire edge quite quickley but even with that still fairly sharp, it also allows you to use a jigsaw blade in the saw blade holder and should come with a file bit that can be put in the same holder. A belt clip can be bought separately.

It has replaceable wire cutter teeth and a lifetime warranty or 25 year!

If you need a razor sharp knife that you use every day just for cutting things then a Stanley blade holder type knife is probably the way to go, as there cheap to maintain and never need sharpening!

Adidat
By Rorschach
FWIW if anyone ever comes across a Stanley knife blade handle that would be classed as UK EDC legal, please let me know. Best I have found so far is a holder for a single edge razor blade but that's not really that useful I don't think.
By novocaine
closest "stanley" that would possibly be classed as an EDC is the fat max retractable that has a non locking, sliding blade, you squeeze the handle to extend the blade, when you let go the blade retracts. we had something similar at a store I worked which had a side sliding button that didn't lock. more of a hindrance than a help.

spyderco gets my vote for an EDC you can buy easy enough although my best EDC is a cheap as chips one from a steam fair, holds a wicked edge and is teeny tiny, bit hard to find you one though. also look for a higo no kami, which is a Japanese friction folder, normally even the cheap ones are great.
By Rorschach
Oh yes I have had one of those before. They are superb if you work in a warehouse or something and open a lot of boxes, very safe you can use it and throw it right back into your pocket, excellent in the right situation. Sadly, too large for EDC in your trouser pocket.
By novocaine
Completely agree, until a bit of card slips down the side of the blade, at which point you don't check the blade because "hay it's self retracting" and put a delightful slice down the side of your leg (3 out of the 5 reported incidents involving a knife for a year at that store).

found the ones we had, a bit smaller, but doesn't fit a standard blade (which isn't all that useful really)

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds
By Sideways
Artie had the right of it.
The Spyderco UKPK or UK Penknife is a superb tool. Excellent ergonomics. Top quality S30V steel. A version of their Caly(pso)3 that was designed to be UK legal, it has a sub 3 inch non locking blade. Single handed opener with a notch joint mechanism that makes the blade click into place and takes a decent force to "un-click" it. The result is MUCH more secure than swiss army knives and the like.
Buy a UKPK and one of two things are likely: you catch the bug buy more good knives OR it does everything that you need so well that it ends the search for the ideal pocket knife. It cured me - can you tell I'm a fan :-)

Just a note - looking it up, I see that the blade and handle materials have changed since I got mine. The price has been made more accessible and the knife seems to have become popular. Read up on it if the PM steel is important to you. Spyderco don't do bad knives so it's a good bet either way.
By El Barto
The Svord Peasant Knife is one of the best I've used and is one of my favourites. Legal to carry, locks, looks cool and has a great blade. And about £15.

https://www.heinnie.com/svord-peasant-mini

Another banger is the Higonokami, similar to the Svord in many respects but Japanese. This is what I carry on me all the time because it's 7mm thick.

https://www.heinnie.com/nagao-higonokami-mini-black
By Tasky
Trevanion wrote:Opens with a flick of the hand which is gravity assisted so does that mean it's outright illegal to even own?

Many knives technically fall into that category, simply by virtue of being loosely assembled and heavily oiled, though. Most of mine can be stripped down for cleaning, and if you don't tighten the shoulder bolts fully they will swing open with a flick or a drop.

Rorschach wrote:It's a legal grey area, the blade is sub 3" and folding, but because the handle closes up and stops the blade being fully folded it falls fouls of J. Mcowan's decision in Harris v DPP 1993

Technically, so would any knife where one's fingers obstruct the blade from closing. My Leatherman Squirt is like that.

However:
https://swarb.co.uk/harris-v-director-o ... -sep-1992/
http://www.hrcr.org/safrica/arrested_ri ... ubPros.htm

The argument seems to centre around 'immediate' folding (in order to make it a folding pocketknife), versus a process required before it can be folded (as found with the lock knives in this and similar cases), to establish a difference between a legal pocket-folder and illegal lock-knife.
By this alone, the Micra would be immediately folding.

The argument arises from the generally-accepted assertion that a lockknife is obviously a more effective stabbing weapon if it is locked. Non-locking folding knives present a danger to the user and are thus less likely to be used as stabbing weapons for that reason.
In light of this, while the Micra's handle may prevent the blade from fully closing immediately, in order to use it as a weapon the offender would have to hold the knife... and in such an event the blade folding would hit his fingers before it could touch the handle anyway, thus upholding the risk mentioned above that mitigates the risk of it being used as a weapon.
Either way, it does not lock like those knives exhibited in the above cases and, from 'fully open', the blade can still freely fold enough to render it an ineffective option for a weapon.
By El Barto
Back on topic to knife recommendations, this is also a fantastic knife with a lovely "Scandi" blade:

https://www.heinnie.com/cold-steel-finn-wolf-29948

If you can REALLY push the boat out, the Benchmade Griptilian is excellent: https://www.heinnie.com/cold-steel-finn-wolf-29948
By Rorschach
Tasky wrote:Technically, so would any knife where one's fingers obstruct the blade from closing. My Leatherman Squirt is like that.

However:
https://swarb.co.uk/harris-v-director-o ... -sep-1992/
http://www.hrcr.org/safrica/arrested_ri ... ubPros.htm

The argument seems to centre around 'immediate' folding (in order to make it a folding pocketknife), versus a process required before it can be folded (as found with the lock knives in this and similar cases), to establish a difference between a legal pocket-folder and illegal lock-knife.
By this alone, the Micra would be immediately folding.

The argument arises from the generally-accepted assertion that a lockknife is obviously a more effective stabbing weapon if it is locked. Non-locking folding knives present a danger to the user and are thus less likely to be used as stabbing weapons for that reason.
In light of this, while the Micra's handle may prevent the blade from fully closing immediately, in order to use it as a weapon the offender would have to hold the knife... and in such an event the blade folding would hit his fingers before it could touch the handle anyway, thus upholding the risk mentioned above that mitigates the risk of it being used as a weapon.
Either way, it does not lock like those knives exhibited in the above cases and, from 'fully open', the blade can still freely fold enough to render it an ineffective option for a weapon.

The squirt can fold fully closed (but take your finger off, like any folding knife), the micra will not injure you if it folds and it only folds part way. The micra could therefore be construed as a more effective stabbing weapon with no danger to the user, like a locking knife. If you own a micra you will see how this is possible. Like I said though, a legal grey area and untested in court. Not a risk I want to take though when other options are available like the squirt which are 100% legal.
By artie
Order shipped

Enjoy your purchase!

Track your order

Use this track & trace-code to track your order. It may take some time before the information is available.

TRACK YOUR ORDER

Article Number Price Total
Extra long cooling-off period until January 31, 2019 1 £ 0,00 £ 0,00
Spyderco C94PBK UK Pocket Knife 1 £ 58,95 £ 58,95
Parcel Force 1 £ 0,00 £ 0,00
------
Total amount £ 58,95

YOUR INFORMATION

Order number
xxxxxx

Invoice
xxxxxxxxxx

Shipment via
Parcel Force

Free shipping over £ 50,-
Free returns within 30 days.
Fast delivery from our own stock.
KNIVESANDTOOLS.CO.UK
By Tasky
Rorschach wrote:The micra could therefore be construed as a more effective stabbing weapon with no danger to the user, like a locking knife. If you own a micra you will see how this is possible.

Incidentally, I went round a friend's house for tea last night and, knowing he had one, forced him to dig it out. We then spent a little time test-stabbing various things......

Yes, technically, it would statistically be more effective than a full-folding knife, while somewhat less effective than any locking blade.... but in reality the blade folds well enough and turns the knife in your hand so much that it's pretty f*****g useless for stabbing anything!!
By Rorschach
Tasky wrote:Yes, technically, it would statistically be more effective than a full-folding knife, while somewhat less effective than any locking blade.... but in reality the blade folds well enough and turns the knife in your hand so much that it's pretty f*****g useless for stabbing anything!!

Yes I totally agree, but the law doesn't specify how useful something is at stabbing. You can carry a 3" non locking blade perfectly legally with a super strong spring that effectively locks it open and be a very effective stabbing weapon. You cannot carry a knife that is maybe 15mm long, if it has a locking blade even if it would be totally useless for stabbing someone. It silly, but it's the law.
The same issue can be taken with the victorinox swiss card, it had a very small fixed blade in it, it's short, thin and has a tiny handle that would make it useless for stabbing, however the blade is fixed and as such is not EDC legal. Once again, silly, but it's the law.
By Tasky
Rorschach wrote:Yes I totally agree, but the law doesn't specify how useful something is at stabbing.

I'd argue the reasonings for banning lock knives establish the precedent for exactly that. Otherwise I'd be done for carrying an improvised cosh every time I bought a battered sausage from the chippy. Speaking of which, the Micra is about as good at stabbing things as a saveloy...

Rorschach wrote:Once again, silly, but it's the law.

I also expect the human judge to exercise some level of common flippin' sense, to mitigate the silliness as much as possible.