Plywood construction kitchen fittings - finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlacidCasual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Peeps

After much to-ing and fro-ing I'm about to get a test piece made using CNC machining for a future kitchen build.

Effectively I'm making plywood open shelves to create a storage wall in the kitchen. I'm testing the design the technique on some shelves for my study but want to finish it as I would the kitchen shelves.

I'm worried about humidity affecting the plywood in the long run and I hadn't planned to use marine or water resistant ply instead I was going to use some B grade birch ply. I was considering using Clear Penetrating Epoxy but having done more research it may not be the best solution. I saw elsewhere a suggestion that polyester resin might be a good solution for a hardwearing waterproofing finish.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Do some quick tests before you spend too much. A thick film finish on ply generally looks like cheap gloopy tat, especially if it turns a nasty shade of tangerine over time, think 1950's caravan furniture.

The pre lacquered puppy ply is excellent stuff, that's what we use for kitchen carcasses

Thx for the responses.

Does wax oil do anything for the mechanical strength of the wood? Until I see the CNC finish I have some concerns about damage to the edges of the ply in use, but equally want to keep it visible for the aesthetics of it.

I have used puppy ply before but would avoid it. :D
Seriously, hard wax oil would seal the edges of birch ply OK so long as it's cleanly finished (which isn't difficult with birch) - you can get trial sachets of Osmo, give it a try (as Custard said).

This is my first CNC project, birch ply seemed fairly standard, what would you suggest I ask for I'm not particularly knowledgeable about what my CNC company will be able to easily procure. I've seen Douglas Fir available in suitable grades but assume it's a tad pricey.

When I get my first test project through I will try it with a hard wax oil see what the finish is like.

You'll be fine with Birch Ply, B grade is as low as you want to go though, there may be the occasional void visible on an edge but if you find that objectionable it's easily filled before finishing. Go any lower than B grade and you'll start finding little rugby ball shaped patches on the faces. Okay for constructional purposes but they look a bit tacky on furniture.

If you're not familiar with ply grading take a look at this,

http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/downloads ... ywood-.pdf

Back