Ply lining a van and loft insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
I've a wee van (Caddy) to line next few days and was wondering about using standard loft insulation to aid noise reduction behind the ply. I've a few rolls lying about somewhere, think it's Knauf Earth wool or similar. Any downsides other than it's lovely stuff to work with? The lining won't be sealed so condensation won't be an issue.

I am not sure loft insulation would provide much in the way of noise reduction. I agree with Setch that condensation may well be an issue. Have a look at the camper van conversion sites, they will offer some advice on the best materials. The materials to get noise reduction normally involve density and weight, there are materials you can get for silencing cars that are quite thin but I think they are relatively heavy. I believe they can be used on part of a panel to reduce the vibration of the panel and therefore the noise.

Rockwool RW3 is a mineral wool and resin slab designed for acoustic insulation and will give better results than standard loose mineral wool loft insulation. The latter has lots of air in it to maximise heat insulation, and the RW3 is quite dense to reduce noise travelling through it.

Not sure where the earthwool fits in those kind of terms, but used the RW3 in my workshop recently and very impressed with it. Other makes around too of course, just what I'm familiar with.

Have a look at the restoration couple on you tube. He is in the uk and has done a campervan conversion. I recall he used proper sound deadening that didn't seem too expensive
James

a further thought

Plastic membrane to outer wall of van, fit liner, drill hole enough to use expanding foam to fill the void

Plastic will stop it sticking to the metal wall of the van, cut off extruded foam at edges

+1 on Thermoliner. Like Chris152 I also spent ages researching various ways to insulate my camper conversion. And like him I also found that the best stuff was Thermoliner from Harrison Trim Supplies. But I suppose the whole thing is moot until you decide how far you want to take it/how much you care. Ha ha. I choose Thermoliner because as well as insulating, it also has very good sound proofing/sound deadening properties. That was really important because my van (a 2001 LDV Convoy) is VERY NOISY. So I didn't scrimp on trying to make it a bit quieter (you can't hear music whilst driving it's that loud).

I also chose it because it won't trap as much moisture as loft insulation or other similar products (I looked at both natural and synthetic insulations). It's also its own vapour barrier which is good, less work to do. I learnt over the summer while sleeping in the camper for a few weeks that moisture really builds up, so I think I made the right choice.

Like Chris said, it's easy to apply (especially when used with a heat gun) and the adhesive is good. It cuts easily and all these things add up to less time spent actually faffing about insulting your van, which isn't exactly the most fun activity in the world. It is more expensive than other insulations but for a Caddy it shouldn't be too bad.

Having said all that, if you've got some leftover insulation and you're happy with what it then go for that! It will provide some noise reduction but not a huge amount.

Not trying to give a hard sell but I distinctly remember how boring the whole thing was to decide which to use so hopefully it's of some help.

Thanks for all the replies. Chris and El Barto, the Thermoliner product looks good and not too expensive compared to other products.
In the the end, due to time constraints, had to go to plan B - drown out any noise by turning up the radio.... : )

Ply lining and carpet worked out well (although as mentioned absolutely no fun doing it) certainly a big reduction in overall noise and the usual drone (the bulkhead is just a plastic grill so of little help separating cabin from load area). If I get a chance to work on the van again will certainly get some Thermoliner.

Back