Plastic on the way out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MatthewRedStars":216o71l8 said:
What is that climate change skeptics are so scared of?

climate change skeptics are not scared, they just don't believe climate change is caused by humans.

Because being in denial about robust science is just bizarre to me.

What robust science?

Swearing day is night, left is right, and up is down, and not listening to the deafening roar of the facts.

What facts?

Why? What is it in peoples brains that make them deny blatant reality?

They think it is you who are denying blatant reality. The climate changes continualy, it has done since the earth was formed. It's just now a lot of people have found they can make a lot of money by getting people to believe climate change is their fault and they can do something about it.

Either way people make lots of money, be it oil, gas or alternative energy sources.

Both sides reckon they have the best science.

Irrespective of my opinion, I for one is not willing to leave my daughters future to chance, at least the small part I can play.

As I see it, we get cleaner air and potentially a better future for my kids from"clean" energy so while the for and against brigade see who can pee up the wall the furthest I shall continue to go "green".

If I'm wrong and fossil fuels have no part to play then no harm done. If I'm right then at least I know I tried my best for my kids future.

Cheshirechappie":3dkuqgcq said:
......... Has the Artic melted yet? Al Gore predicted that it would be free of ice by 2014. What actually happened?..........

This, actually.

Figure3-350x270.png

From here.

All your other points are equally as spurious/ fallacious. Do you generally just pass on pseudo-scientific conspiracy theories?

Geordie Joe":udcl9as4 said:
........What robust science?.........

Tens of thousands of papers, of course, but how about the Inter Governmental Panel on Climate Change? Despite every attempt by politicians to water down its findings, this is probably the most august group of scientists to meet on a single subject anywhere on the planet ever.

Geordie Joe":1c4q0c4f said:

MikeG.":1c4q0c4f said:
Tens of thousands of papers, of course,

Well that's not robust science is it, it's just you saying there are tens of thousands of papers. As a judge would say in court "Don't tell me there is evidence, show it to me".

but how about the Inter Governmental Panel on Climate Change?

That only exists, and makes money as long as the general public believe they are responsible for climate change.

............. this is probably the most august group of scientists to meet on a single subject anywhere on the planet ever.

And only there, and making money because people believe people are responsible for climate change.

I'm sorry but you're being ridiculous. Science isn't collected into one place. There are literally tens of thousands of papers on the subject of climate change*, on thousands of different little specialities and in hundreds if not thousands of different peer-reviewed journals. That you don't know this disqualifies you from commenting, frankly.

The IPCC is not a money making body, and has nothing to do with public opinion. It is a scientific enterprise put together through the UN. That you don't know this disqualifies you from commenting, frankly.

*I've got a credit on one of them, on sea surface temperature change.

Geordie Joe":3fyhn44n said:
Geordie Joe":3fyhn44n said:

MikeG.":3fyhn44n said:
Tens of thousands of papers, of course,

Well that's not robust science is it, it's just you saying there are tens of thousands of papers. As a judge would say in court "Don't tell me there is evidence, show it to me".

but how about the Inter Governmental Panel on Climate Change?

That only exists, and makes money as long as the general public believe they are responsible for climate change.

............. this is probably the most august group of scientists to meet on a single subject anywhere on the planet ever.

And only there, and making money because people believe people are responsible for climate change.

This is amazing. Genuine question but what else do you/don't you believe in? It's fascinating to encounter people who legitimately can deny things like climate change, the earth being round, the moon landing, etc etc.

MikeG.":2cs7qvwi said:
I'm sorry but you're being ridiculous. Science isn't collected into one place. There are literally tens of thousands of papers on the subject of climate change*

So you should be able to show me some of it.

That you don't know this disqualifies you from commenting, frankly.

No it doesn't, the fact that you can't come up with any scientific proof that humans are causing climate change disqualifies you from commenting.

The IPCC is not a money making body, and has nothing to do with public opinion. It is a scientific enterprise put together through the UN.

So, you think everyone involved is working for nothing? As for public opinion, it's funding depends on public opinion. If people didn't not believe they were causing climate change and only they can stop it then they would not allow the funding for the IPCC, and everyone involved would be out of a job.

That you don't know this disqualifies you from commenting, frankly.

Wrong again.

Show me.

El Barto":3bd2y6tj said:
This is amazing. Genuine question but what else do you/don't you believe in? It's fascinating to encounter people who legitimately can deny things like climate change, the earth being round, the moon landing, etc etc.

Show me where I said I don't believe in climate change, show me where I denied climate change.

What galls me is the "they only say that because they are making money".

Well oil and gas companies and their lobbyists must obviously be saints and do their job just for fun.

And as we are considering cost, what about the people of Syria, Iraq and all the previous countries that have gone through state sponsored slaughter as external powers jockey to feed our fossil fuel addiction? That is a cost you can't put a figure on.

At least wind and sun is relatively ubiquitous so less likely to lead to country exploitation on a similar scale but I bet somebody greedy pipper tries!

Actually the sceptics seem to be ever fewer - melting away like the ice caps, appropriately! :lol:

Jacob":cr49jnnc said:
Actually the sceptics seem to be ever fewer - melting away like the ice caps, appropriately! :lol:

You are wrong, they just gave up talking to people like you.

Geordie Joe":1qa4c9s6 said:
.......So you should be able to show me some of it......... the fact that you can't come up with any scientific proof that humans are causing climate change disqualifies you from commenting.

OK, here you go. Do ask if you want some help with any of the longer words. Here's some further reading.

Oh, and "scientific proof". That's an oxymoron. Science doesn't do proof. The only discipline which does is maths. You should know that, and yet again, your ignorance is showing.

So, you think everyone involved is working for nothing? As for public opinion, it's funding depends on public opinion. If people didn't not believe they were causing climate change and only they can stop it then they would not allow the funding for the IPCC, and everyone involved would be out of a job.

My daughter is a scientist working on cognition and other behaviours in south east Asian jungle fowl. There is literally zero public opinion on the matter, and zero public interest, and yet it is funded. Given your comment above, can you explain how it is funded?

Oh, and the scientists contributing to the IPCC give their time free. So you have literally no argument.

MikeG.":1qa4c9s6 said:

I couldn't even show myself. It was published before the internet (in about 1980), and I don't have a copy of the journal.

Geordie Joe":2stetbh7 said:
Jacob":2stetbh7 said:

You are wrong, they just gave up talking to people like you.
Their loss then!

Don't hesitate to join in the conversation though, if you ever feel the need to catch up - most people seem to know much more about it than you do, which is a change from only a few years ago when ignorant scepticism seemed to be a majority view.

Back