Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By DomD
flying haggis wrote:are you wiring the socket outlets in 2.5mm t&e? if yes use 25mm conduit as you/he will struggle to get two cables in 20mm conduit

I believe it is 2.5mm t&e but the electrician seems confident we will be able to get two cables in each 20mm conduit. That should be the max that is ever going down/up a conduit run.
It's all bought now so hopefully will work out.

AJB Temple wrote:Add at least one 16amp outlet. Sods law dictates that at some stage a bandsaw or PT that you buy will require it. Costs peanuts at installation time.

I think it's going to be too late now - I could always add one in the future if needed.

Dom
By DomD
Socket back boxes in:

Consumer unit (ring main, heating, lighting circuits coming out of top):

Sockets under window:

Hopefully finishing everything off tomorrow.
By DomD
All second fixing finished in the shed, only thing left to do is connect power and ethernet at the house end.
The supply runs next to an cat5e cable in corrugated conduit; both run on the surface along our fence.

Eye level sockets for standing height workbench
Heater wired in
Low level sockets in electronics/computer room
Panel lighting, yet to see if these will be bright enough

The conduit did add a fair amount of time but looks really good in my view; wiring in the 'loft' clipped direct as it's not really visible.
Dom
By BigMonka
That’s looking fantastic Dom, it was only a page ago that it looked like a building site and now it’s a proper workspace.
What are those square lights that you’ve got? I’m thinking about upgrading my lighting so would be interested to hear how you get on with them.
By DomD
BigMonka wrote:That’s looking fantastic Dom, it was only a page ago that it looked like a building site and now it’s a proper workspace.
What are those square lights that you’ve got? I’m thinking about upgrading my lighting so would be interested to hear how you get on with them.

Really enjoying using it already, the lights are 60*60cm led panels - usually found in offices I think but work great.

flying haggis wrote:it might be in the wrong place but you could add a 16A socket or two directly under the consumer unit

Yes if I needed to that wouldn't be too much work.
Dom
By DomD
One issue I have found is some mould growth distributed across the walls and roof.
I hope this is just due to the fact I have not managed to get the door and window in yet leading to some condensation paired with the recently applied water based paint but thought I would mention anyway.

Any ideas of the best way to deal with it? Should I be removing it or just leaving it as is? I have seen some products that claim to help keep it from growing and also anti mould paints, but unsure if this is necessary.

Dom
By DomD
Almost sealed so mould should become less of a problem once that's done.

I installed the window frame tonight:

As you can see I did put a dpc down. Not sure if needed but I figured it shouldn't hurt.
Then I put a bed of silicone and added the window on top - later realised I probably shouldn't have added silicone at this point, instead should have filled the cavity with expanding foam and then added a final silicone seal.

Screwed in:

If there is anything I've obviously done wrong let me know so I can fix it before I put the panes in!
Dom
By Brian H
Hi Dom,

A very nice build project. I came to this board when I googled 'building workshop' for ideas... wow did I land at the right place :)

I'm hoping / planning on finishing my single car garage in the spring / summer so will linger on the boards whilst I learn the correct approach.

Thanks for sharing, there are many of us 'hanging around' on these boards learning from kind folk who share their experiences.

Cheers
Brian
By DomD
Brian H wrote:Hi Dom,

A very nice build project. I came to this board when I googled 'building workshop' for ideas... wow did I land at the right place :)

I'm hoping / planning on finishing my single car garage in the spring / summer so will linger on the boards whilst I learn the correct approach.

Thanks for sharing, there are many of us 'hanging around' on these boards learning from kind folk who share their experiences.

Cheers
Brian

Glad to hear it's useful, make sure to look at Mike's drawings and build for the specifics.

flying haggis wrote:excuse me asking, but what is the thin cable that comes from the socket to the right of the c/u for

The black one is an ethernet cable - there will eventually be a shelf infront of it for a router.

Dom
By DBT85
Dom, it's been just over a year since your adventure started and its a great thread to go through and get info and tips for doing my own.

Can I ask how you feel about the onduline roof and also what provision if any you've made for the rain water?

Also the most important question, how have you fared in terms of budget? Is there any chance you have a breakdown of costs?