Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By MikeG.
Painting OSB (inside the building) can be done with the cheapest emulsion you can lay your hands on. There is absolutely no point using expensive paints such as Bedec or a masonry paint. Save Bedec for outside.
By DomD
MikeG. wrote:Painting OSB (inside the building) can be done with the cheapest emulsion you can lay your hands on. There is absolutely no point using expensive paints such as Bedec or a masonry paint. Save Bedec for outside.
But will it need primed if I use cheap emulsion? If so what with?

Thanks
By DomD
Slower progress - I did install the windows:
Only to decide the white really doesn't fit with the building... I will be getting some custom sized wooden ones; if anyone has used any companies for windows I would be open to recommendations.

Then I made a door and similarly dislike the result; Mike was right about the design being too heavy so I will replace with a shiplapped/t+g door.

I also finished off gable insulation:

Onduline has been ordered for installation next week. Am I correct to assume the 'sag' in the roofing membrane would allow insects into the void below the onduline? If so how do I seal this? The corrugation profile will be sealed with a foam eaves filler above a batten.

Could the ridge also act as an opening?

Thanks
By beech1948
I can not see from your last picture but Onduline will sag between the roof members such that over 5 yrs you will have a 3" to 5" sag which collects and holds water. Onduline has no strength to resist this. Guess how I know this.

If still using Onduline then you need to provide either ply (1/2") or 3/4" OSB for the Onduline to sit on.
By DomD
I have begun installing the onduline:

I have looked online and as far as I can tell I need eaves but not ridge ventilation (see http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Products ... s2019/#317). I will use comb fillers at the eaves and just fill the ridge profile with foam fillers.
Eaves shown here where gutter will go:

I damaged the sheeting a few times during installation:
ImageImage
Is there a good way to repair this? I am planning on using roof and gutter seal.

Thanks
By MikeG.
Yeah, that's your best answer.

You seem to have plenty of battens in support, so sagging won't be an issue. However, I'll warn you now that your roof will be black, not green, within 5 or 7 years. I did a workshop of mine in green, like yours, and it was identical to the black stuff by the time I sold the house.
By DomD
beech1948 wrote:I can not see from your last picture but Onduline will sag between the roof members such that over 5 yrs you will have a 3" to 5" sag which collects and holds water. Onduline has no strength to resist this. Guess how I know this.

If still using Onduline then you need to provide either ply (1/2") or 3/4" OSB for the Onduline to sit on.

I have supported it with battens at half the specified span for my pitch (had to due to membrane requirements). They guarantee it for 15years if installed correctly and some say it can last much longer; hopefully that means I'm ok!
By DomD
MikeG. wrote:Yeah, that's your best answer.

You seem to have plenty of battens in support, so sagging won't be an issue. However, I'll warn you now that your roof will be black, not green, within 5 or 7 years. I did a workshop of mine in green, like yours, and it was identical to the black stuff by the time I sold the house.

Hmm that's a shame as the green costs a fair amount more; it will be nice to have it at the start anyway, the idea was to blend in with the trees.
By Dibs-h
DomD wrote:Slower progress - I did install the windows:

Only to decide the white really doesn't fit with the building... I will be getting some custom sized wooden ones; if anyone has used any companies for windows I would be open to recommendations.

Thanks

Looking good there Dom. On the subject of windows - you could leave the existing ones in for the moment and then make some. I'd never made any and had a go and was (is still) very happy with them.

By DomD
Dibs-h wrote:
DomD wrote:Slower progress - I did install the windows:

Thanks

Looking good there Dom. On the subject of windows - you could leave the existing ones in for the moment and then make some. I'd never made any and had a go and was (is still) very happy with them.

After looking at the price of new wooden windows that's what I think I'll do. Those windows look great!

I may paint them in the meantime, I think grey frames would look reasonable despite the thickness.

I have finished the first row of onduline but other than that progress is slow due to seemingly constant rain.
Hopefully I'll get the roof window in on Saturday.
Dom
By DomD
Window mostly installed other than final flashing. I covered it with some spare breather membrane in the meantime.
ImageImageImage

This is the flashing around the top gutter which should be fine as far as I can tell but the instructions are unclear.
By DomD
Roof light fully flashed:

I'm really struggling to get the sheets on around it though. See here where I installed a sheet over the bottom flashing:
The sheet lifts up which could allow water to be blown up over the overlap and I can't nail them down as that would be through the flashing. Not sure what the correct way rectify this is; any ideas appreciated.
Dom