Planner Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKB

Reaction score
So my old Scheppach 2600 has finally died, god rest it. If memory serves its between 6 - 8yrs old.
I'm looking to replace and maybe upgrade at the same time.
Does anyone have experience of the Axminster trade range or the Hammer A3 31 that they could share, or indeed any other make ?

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

Sorry, can't help you...........

.........but only 6 or 8 years. Really? Are you content with that lifespan? I'd be furious.

It was in storage for a few yrs and got a bit rusty so I have no grounds for complaint to the manufacturer unfortunately. totally my fault for lack of tool care.

I have had a couple of Axminster trade range machines. I have been happy with them. I had a planer (but not a planer thicknesser) and it was well made and I regretted selling it. I also have a lunchbox thicknesser which performs excellently.

I have a Hammer A3 31. Mine is a 2005 model. I bought it 2nd hand from a member on here. It's a quality bit of kit and has always performed well for me. It does require a 16a supply though..., but overall I am very happy with it.

GKB":2tphr3s9 said:
So my old Scheppach 2600 has finally died, god rest it. If memory serves its between 6 - 8yrs old.
Does anyone have experience of the Axminster trade range or the Hammer A3 31 that they could share, or indeed any other make ?

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

Could it be salvaged by someone with very little budget but mechanical and electrical skills?! If so ill come and save you the trip to the tip if your anywhere near Yorkshire.

A Wadkin, Multico, Sedgwick or SCM would also be worth adding to the list of machines to consider. Of the four, the Sedgwick is the most plentiful secondhand and spares can for the newer machines and fir most if the older machines can easily be bought from the manufacture.

If you want new, Sedgwick is a good bet and they hold their value extremely well. Al,l if the machines I’ve suggested will I’m sure last multiple lifetimes even if stored fir a few years.

I’ve got no experience of the Axminster machines other than handling them in store. Some of them do feel distinctly “Chinese” in terms of build quality but can’t comment on their actual usefulness.

When I made my decision on which planer thicknesser to buy I went for a second hand Sedgwick MB with a Tersa head. In terms of build quality and usability it is superb. If I were to go back in time I’d do exactly the same again. It is a big heavy beast though weighing in at over 830lbs and the room for it needs to be considered too - the tables span about 5’. If you have the room to accommodate one, an MB is hard to beat.

My biggest complaint with combined planner thicknesser's is winding the thicknessing bed up and down all the time. I suppose I should try to be more organised but it is a pain in backside. Sedgewick seem to be the only one that doesn't require this.
My preference would be a big enough shop to accommodate separates.

GKB":23bg1j68 said:
My biggest complaint with combined planner thicknesser's is winding the thicknessing bed up and down all the time. I suppose I should try to be more organised but it is a pain in backside. Sedgewick seem to be the only one that doesn't require this.
My preference would be a big enough shop to accommodate separates.

I remember seeing a video that someone had made showing a modification to his Planer Thicknesser that utilised a battery drill to wind the Planer table up & down. The video showed it working a treat.

From what I remember, he had added an additional couple of cogs on the shaft and a remote switch to activate the drill motor.....?

I'm curious as to what has written off the machine? I'm interested rather than suggesting you should fix it.

I keep eyeing up wadkins. I have an Axminster 106. I'd rather a solid old machine, but I suspect most of them would require some attention.

My woodworking experience is minimal. My machinery experience is much greater. I mention this to qualify my comments!

GKB":39yqoduc said:

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

I must have had mine double the time of your good self, apart from sharpening and an adjustment after a move mine is going strong, as above I would be miffed after a short life as described even with a lack of TLC - surely if the machine is suitable for your needs it is worth a repair?

Stuart

8 years is still pretty much a new machine.
The oldest machine that I have bought with the intention to use is 133 years old this year and had spent at least 20 years out in the rain behind a barn before I took it home and rebuilt it. I rekon it has approximately half it's useful lifespan still in it.

Lightweight budget machines like Sceppach 2600 don't have quite that lifespan. However if it fits your needs I am fairly sure it can be rebuilt and serve you well for another 20 or 30 years....... or you can sell it cheap (preferably very cheap to justify the effort) to someone who will fix it up for his own use.

Back