PITA Smoke Alarm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity of smoke alarms? Mine is a room and 2 doors away from the kitchen. But every time I use a high oven setting or cook a meal with a high heat, where the oil smokes a bit, the bloody thing goews off. Also when I have the odd ciggy, I lean on the kitchen window frame and it still goes off, its driving me nuts.

I've seen one that can be adjusted in any way; certainly the commercial ones we use offshore cannot. However it should not be going off for cigarette smoke - thats meant to be designed out. They can get a bit temperamental as they gwet old/dirty. Try giving it a good blast of canned air to get any dust out.

Can you change it for a heat alarm? Think the fire regs when I built our place needed both sorts in the property anyway

If cleaning it out doesn't work, it might be easier to just replace it, especially if it's old. I think they're only £20-odd these days.

I once spoke with someone who did pro installations for Chubb fire devices - Older ones use ion detection or some such (it was a bit technical for me), which basically means they're very sensitive to things like cooking, ciggies, vaping and even deodorant.

Heat alarms are better for kitchens as they aren't set off by smoke. I've one in my kitchen and four other ionisation alarms, one in the kitchen which I was prepared to move but hasn't caused a problem and three elsewhere. Oh, and a couple of CO2 monitors. I've got enough things tring to kill me without adding fire and CO2 to the list. :D

phil.p":tfj30g69 said:
Apparently not - they are recommended for kitchens. I would think they work on a sudden increase rather than just an increase.
But what happens if you then open the door on a hot oven?

Tasky":2t49ktcq said:
phil.p":2t49ktcq said:
Apparently not - they are recommended for kitchens. I would think they work on a sudden increase rather than just an increase.
But what happens if you then open the door on a hot oven?

Never had mine go off by opening the oven - thats not hot enough.
However mine always went off when I used a wok or a cast iron skillet to cook stake.

My insurance company insisted that I upgrade from a smoke only to smoke and heat.

This is is about 2 years old. It was fitted by a nice fireman when he came around to do resident awareness type stuff in our block of flats. The local council had a scheme to get one in every home sort of thing. They came initially 'cos my upstairs nemisis complained about where the other half kept here bike, claiming it was a fire hazard. They came and said just turn it round the other way to make sure the handlebars dont get in the way and asked if we would like a quick fire saftey inspection. They replaced the old one we had as they said it was knackered and I was recovering from foot surgery and couldn't walk at the time. Genuinely nice of them to do it but it has become a pain as I usually have a ciggy first thing around 6am before get my carp together, doesn't seem to do it when I have one after dinner though, which is wierd. Goes of everytime I do stir fry or sizzly stuff.

Back