Pine Flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike,

I got quite friendly with the flooring guy who sells the reclaimed pine. The timber came to him as old joists and various bits of roofing timber. Some of the beams were about 8" square, maybe from an old barn or large house.
First job for his blokes was to pull out the old cut nails and any other hardware. Next was to resaw on an industrial bandsaw with a 4" blade, the type of machine you see at timber mills.Resaw size was about an inch thick. Then through the thicknesser to a finished thickness of about 3/4". The thicknesser left a nice finish on the boards. The table saw was used to rip to a 6" finished width before going into the spindle moulder for the T + Grooving.
Most of the boards were around 14 - 16 feet long. After delivery and payment (think circa £14 per sq) stickered the boards in the kitchen, hall and living room for about 6 weeks to acclimatize. Maybe didn't need to do it for this long as the timber had been very dry for the last 75 odd years but I was determined not to have any shrinkage. Reckon the wood was somewhere around 7 - 9% MC, but that just guessing. I would've preferred a few less knots but, at that money I was happy. incidentially very few of the boards were actually straight (although none were cupped) but having used the old two wedges together method of laying them, this didn't present any problems. Once all the boards were down a quick sand with 240 grit left everything ready for finishing.
The colour was constant all the through and as I'd a few bits left I made a few bits and pieces and even after being through my own thicknesser the colour remained. BTW the smell from the freshly milled wood was wonderful.

Rgds

Noel

Noely":25yzwi68 said:
BTW the smell from the freshly milled wood was wonderful.

Yes why does old timber smell sooo goood when you rework it? I found a piece of the rafters that were removed while doing a loft conversion on the place I lived in 20 years ago. When I planed it the smell filled the workshop absolutely magic 8)

Hi All,

DaveL wrote:

Yes why does old timber smell sooo goood when you rework it? I found a piece of the rafters that were removed while doing a loft conversion on the place i lived in 20 years ago. When i planed it the smell filled the workshop absolutely magic.

Noely wrote:

BTW the smell from the freshly milled wood was wonderful.

Passion great isn't it? We as a forum can disagree with each other all day long, but the one thing that ties us together is the passion we feel for that wonderful gift from nature WOOD.

Now i am going to make a fool of myself. Do you see where i have put Noely wrote:? How do i go about doing this as you lot do (eg in blue)?

Regards

Mike.C

Mike.C":1oddeblg said:
How do i go about doing this as you lot do (eg in blue)?

Hi Mike is that what you mean :D

It's not a foolish question, the answer is the Quote button at the top right of each post. Doing one quote in a post is easy, doing two or more requires a little more editing but it can be done. 8)

And yes you are right wood is a wonderful thing. :shock:

Back