Picture Frames of Different Finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisK

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some input on these picture frames. I've been collecting them from charity shops and will fit them with new prints, they're cleaned up and in good condition.

What I'm wondering is how to improve the finish on them as some are looking dull.

They range from stained to painted, some might already have a clearcoat. What would anyone else do here? From my research paste wax might work well. Can I use it accross the board with good effect, will it go over paint? Would polyurethane make more sense?

Thanks, Louis

Attachments

• frames1.jpg
    frames1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 418
  • frames2.jpg
    frames2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 418
  • frames3.jpg
    frames3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 418
  • frames4.jpg
    frames4.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 418
Wax is a good choice for this, just as it is for reviving the surface of furniture that's gone a bit dull. You might have to be a little careful about wax buildup in any mitres that aren't as tight as they could be, and in corners. Wax will go over anything including paint, all finishes and bare wood if need be.

Shellac is another option, being renowned for its ability to stick to just about anything. Very shiny unless knocked back a bit though.

Paste wax is easily made at home if you don't already have any and fancy having a go at making some yourself. Previous thread, Recipes.

A number of those frames are basically a plastic foil wrapped over a Lime or Poplar frame. Take a look at the back, the foil won't be wrapped all the way around because it's too expensive, so if you see timber peaking out then you know it's foil, which will of course restrict your finishing options.

Back