pet hates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Things that are purpose designed and don't do what they're designed for -
DSCN2601.JPG

Wouldn't you think that if someone decided to market a loaf of "bread" called a Toastie they would make it with slices that fitted an average toaster? :D

Attachments

• DSCN2601.JPG
    DSCN2601.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 765
Maybe the bread is intended to go under a broiler with a bit of grated cheese sprinkled on it. :)

On the subject of toasters - mine has settings that range up to 7 but produces perfect toast on number 3. If I put the setting up to 3.5 then I get black toast so what are the other settings for?

Steliz":17d7lwqm said:
On the subject of toasters - mine has settings that range up to 7 but produces perfect toast on number 3. If I put the setting up to 3.5 then I get black toast so what are the other settings for?

Testing the smoke detector.

When I saw Phil's photo and the comment about things not doing what they were designed for, I assumed he meant the toaster ! Pet rant coming up ...

Why are toasters so c**p ? They rely on a timer or other guestimation method to determine when the toast is done, traditionally a bimetal strip with a heating coil around it that releases a latch when it gets hot enough - so it is affected by the ambient temperature, whether this is the first or second slice, etc etc - but not how brown the bread has turned ! Industrial baking processes can monitor the colour of biscuits in the oven - why can't a toaster toast to the right shade of brown ?

phil.p":3jfssxgs said:
Yer but..... no but ....... It doesn't say the slices are two inches higher than a toaster slot.

haha!

Take your tape measure next time! .. I'm sure it will give the other shoppers a good laugh :p

Sheffield Tony":15mccu8j said:
Steliz":15mccu8j said:
Why are toasters so c**p ? They rely on a timer or other guestimation method to determine when the toast is done, traditionally a bimetal strip with a heating coil around it that releases a latch when it gets hot enough - so it is affected by the ambient temperature, whether this is the first or second slice, etc etc - but not how brown the bread has turned ! Industrial baking processes can monitor the colour of biscuits in the oven - why can't a toaster toast to the right shade of brown ?

No no no! .. we don't need to make them complicated! .. more stuff to break.

One side is shorter than the other Phil
e03c5a603cfcad78bc2f8fffbba67d37.jpg

0494a89be1ce549891a3d972f9acaef6.jpg

Lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

transatlantic":15146yqz said:
Sheffield Tony":15146yqz said:
Steliz":15146yqz said:

No no no! .. we don't need to make them complicated! .. more stuff to break.

when will the first toaster app be released so that you will need a phone to control the toaster......................................?(unless it has already)

ps should have checked first......

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/25 ... age-toaste

Next door's ginger cat...

Oh... not that kind of pet hate..

Our toaster goes up to 5 but anything beyond 3 is still 3 ... It came as part of a set Toaster + Kettle (De'Longhi Classic range) and they're both sh*te. The kettle spout has started to rust, only 2 slots now work of the 4 on the toaster too. :/

Yup, you see those rotary ("conveyor belt") toaster thingies in a lot of hotels, especially where it's a buffet or semi-buffet breakfast.

Biggest troubles are that some seem to work by a combination of speed and heat control, some by just one or the other, and it takes me about 3 days into a stay before I've worked out which it is. Then, once it's finally clicked with me, I line up for my own toast just after some "tasteless" silly person has set it to complete black (or vice versa) and it takes so long for the thing to react to control setting changes that transport into work has left the hotel before you've got even one decent slice!

At home (no home bread baking) I just attack the slice with a knife until it fits. Simple

:D :D

Back