pet hates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":tco2zt0q said:
We have "grills" Mike - the Yanks have "broilers" :D

Our grills normally have charcoal under them for outside cooking, but I take your point. :mrgreen:

you've got the wrong toaster Phil.

I have had mine for 20 years* and calculate it has done around 20,000 slices of toast, many of which were "toasties"

* admittedly I did have to replace one of the elements 2 or 3 years ago, but otherwise as good as new.

I wouldn't have thought them any/much deeper than mine. I used to replace elements in them every two or three weeks in a commercial kitchen, which put me off them a bit although of course they were on for hours on end and occasionally misused.

MikeK":3m8y2c18 said:
Maybe the bread is intended to go under a broiler with a bit of grated cheese sprinkled on it. :)

In the UK, a broiler is a chicken reared for meat. Why would you put your bread under a chicken and why would you sprinkle the chicken with cheese? :D

Whilst we are on the subject of toasters. Can anybody recommend a good and reasonably priced toaster? I currently have a four slice Morphy Richards but it is so slow that by the time the toast is ready, it has dried up. I want it brown on the outside but still fluffy and white on the inside.

whiskywill":gts16tql said:
Whilst we are on the subject of toasters. Can anybody recommend a good and reasonably priced toaster? I currently have a four slice Morphy Richards but it is so slow that by the time the toast is ready, it has dried up. I want it brown on the outside but still fluffy and white on the inside.

Dualit the king of toasters, fully repairable as well, we had one element go in 20 years.

Get one like the picture above not the cheaper range.

Pete

we got ours from a hotel that was being refurbed and they were installing one of them rotary jobbies. 3 out of 12 elements had gone (because every house needs a 6 slice toaster right?) think I got them for 4 quid each, still got 2 as spares, haven't had to fit them in 5 years.

the toast sits deeper than any other toaster I've had, a super thick toastie is cooked from top to bottom. still timer based, but you set it yourself, so 2 minutes for the first batch, 1:30 for the second or just swap to a different hatch, you can set it on 2,4 or 6 slices, which is nice.

phil.p":we5s6vge said:
They're barbeques or griddles. :D
Nope. It's a grill... no 'e' on the end.
A grille is the wire frame that you place on top of the barbecue, and on which you cook your meat.
A griddle is a flat metal plate used in Scotland for cooking bannocks and oatcakes, or by the local burger vans for cooking your £4.50 Belly Buster... £5.50 if you want Brian's Big Belly Buster.

whiskywill":we5s6vge said:
In the UK, a broiler is a chicken reared for meat. Why would you put your bread under a chicken and why would you sprinkle the chicken with cheese? :D
Why?
WHY???!!!!
Good sir, you have clearly been dispossessed of a sensible culinary education... for with this recipe alone you have nigh-on already answered your own question. The only remaining ingredient is some choice chicken seasoning and perhaps a dashing of paprika for the cheese and you have the makings of a most excellent burrito style chicken wrap!!

I do, of course, assume you have already prepared and cooked the chicken, rather than attempting this with a live bird... unless that is the very point around which your confusion revolves?

Tasky":2j3v49pc said:
I do, of course, assume you have already prepared and cooked the chicken, rather than attempting this with a live bird... unless that is the very point around which your confusion revolves?

If it were dead it wouldn't be a particularly good pet now would it? that would change the rhetoric of this thread to "food hates" surely.

novocaine":2cxy26dr said:
If it were dead it wouldn't be a particularly good pet now would it?
Pet Rocks were successful enough... no reason why a decent marketing company couldn't pull this off, too. It's all in how you present it - "More charisma than The X-Factor" and so on.

Indeed, there are already a load of dead chicken memes on the internet that advertising could play off, so clearly there's a market for such things!

dead-chickens-dead.jpg

on the plus side it would easier to swap out the dead chicken when it starts to smell than a hamster when it starts to smell.

Tasky":lmdpztxt said:
A griddle is a flat metal plate used in Scotland for cooking bannocks and oatcakes, or by the local burger vans for cooking your £4.50 Belly Buster... £5.50 if you want Brian's Big Belly Buster.

In Wales it's used for cooking Welsh cakes. \:D/

Back