Perspex thickness for picture frame?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a couple of picture frames (17 inch x 11 inch) from a couple of pieces of old Picket fence from the garden and need a couple of pieces of perspex to finish them.
I've never made one before so learning as I go, but what thickness perspex should I use to glaze the frames? and what sort of price should I be looking to pay?

Glen.

I don't know what thickness you should use but I made a 53 x 28 cm frame a few weeks ago and used a perspex offcut that I found in my workshop that was about 0.7mm thick. The perspex seemed very flimsy when I was making the frame but now the picture is on the wall it looks OK.

bourbon":cnste8ah said:
why not use glass?.
Six year old in the house kicking ball about, perspex seems safer than glass.

Just4Fun":cnste8ah said:
I don't know what thickness you should use but I made a 53 x 28 cm frame a few weeks ago and used a perspex offcut that I found in my workshop that was about 0.7mm thick. The perspex seemed very flimsy when I was making the frame but now the picture is on the wall it looks OK.
I've seen a couple of websites with 2mm, but I wasn't sure if that would be too thick :? .

Perspex scratches very easily in case this is a factor you want to consider before going with the material.

2mm is pretty much the standard thickness for picture frame glass, unless it's a very large size when you might move up to 3mm.

Plastic is a popular substitute for applications like picture frames in children's bedrooms, where you don't want the risk of broken glass. The plastic that's most used is Styrene, and it comes in sheets that are a bit thinner than glass. I can't remember the exact thickness but it's something like 1.5mm.

I've used styrene a few times for this type of framing and the main problem is it gets a static charge and attracts dust. No problem if the dust is on the outside, but when there's a spec on the inside, which you don't notice until the frame's sealed, then you'll wish you were back to using glass!

If you buy Ikea picture frames the styrene is no thicker than 1.5mm but we used to sell sheets of 2mm styrene for exactly that purpose and it was pretty cheap. Was mostly full sheet though!

Be careful to buy styrene that has a UV filter coating otherwise you need to hang the picture where it isn't subject to direct sunlight or it will go yellow and brittle. Acrylic usually is protected.

Bob

6 year old kicking ball about indoors?
i'm a bit old fashioned about that sort of thing.

Perspex wont show a picture off to its best.

sunnybob":m66jnb44 said:
i'm a bit old fashioned about that sort of thing..

Wouldn't let my 5 year old granddaughter do that either Bob.

Perspex wont show a picture off to its best.

Why do you say that Bob?

Styrene will most probably show extrusion marks but cast acrylic ( Perspex or other brands ) is pretty much glass clear and there is also an anti glare version available very similar to that available in glass.

The problem with plastics is that many people don't know the differences in materials or that acrylic can be cast or extruded with the resultant different properties

Lons, I know the theory, but.
Perspex is something like 97% transparent, and glass is only around 75%.

BUT... can you tell the difference when you look through it? I can. The perspex has a weird sheen to it, the glass is (to my eyes at least) completely neutral.

The styrene commonly used for picture frames is 1.2mm thick, it's available in clear and anti-glare and is sized by scoring and snapping. As has been said make sure you get rid of any dust from the surface before dropping in the picture and mount (you can get anti-static brushes with conductive filaments) I've used a spray cleaner which helps with static but you still have to be careful.

sunnybob":1vmdnto4 said:
Lons, I know the theory, but.
Perspex is something like 97% transparent, and glass is only around 75%.

We're getting a long way from the OP's cheap and cheerful request, but if you're serious about framing you don't use regular glass. You use "water white" with 99% light transmission and no green tinge, or even more exotic UV and glare resistant varieties.

Lons":2rl7tv4q said:
sunnybob":2rl7tv4q said:
i'm a bit old fashioned about that sort of thing..

Wouldn't let my 5 year old granddaughter do that either Bob.
Maybe a slight exaggeration about kicking ball about in doors :oops: ,but accidents do happen :wink: .

A neighbour threw out a couple of pictures today and I tried to cut the glass to size but made a right cock-up and both went in the bin :evil: .
So I'll keep a look out for some thin Perspex as that may be easier for a clumsy pillock like me to cut too 8) .

Thanks for the suggestions guys, might try to get some 1.5mm styrene. As for backing boards I had some thin 3ply that I've cut to size so that's covered.

Back