P&J Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I think I've just been very lucky in finding a good, used, P&J "under bench" type dust extractor.
Basically it's a cube containing a five or six pocket felt filter bag with a dust collecting drawer below and a 1.1kw induction motor on the back to spin the fan. This is a ten year old device with a good service history. It seems well made with few signs of wear and tear.
I've spent a couple of sessions wiring up a VFD to drive it and making a simple remote pendant. This evening it ran up like a champ and put a big grin on my face. Way more airflow and suction than my old elektra beckum chip collector and crucially in a much friendlier form factor. I also like that the fan is placed AFTER the filter in the airflow.
Now I get to fit an outfeed / assembly table on top of it and park it behind my little Kity table saw :)

Now that I've committed myself, I'd like to get a spot of advice from anyone who owns or has used one of these extractors.
The real reason I wanted this was to connect to my planer thicknesser. The airflow will be ample for that but the P&J unit is sold as a "fine dust" extractor and more normally connected to saws and sanders.
Do the bigger chips from a planer shake out of these multi-pocket filters OK or will I be hoovering it out every day ?
Thanks in advance.

You could add a cyclone, which would remove the waste from the planer well before it reached the extractor but you'd sill be using it's suction. Perhaps add 2 blast gates and a split hose so you could bypass the cyclone if you were generating fine dust from other equipment.

Have to think about that Scaredycat,
It's a 5" port. I think that would need a much bigger cyclone than I have space for :)

Interesting to note though, I have a small dust commander cyclone attached to a shop vac. Although it doesn't move anywhere near enough air for the P/T, it does separates the chips very effectively. When I bought this P&J, it still had half a drawer full of dust inside it. I hoovered it out with the cyclone just for curiousity.
80% of that fine dust flew straight through the cyclone and ended up in the shop vac...

Thanks

Cyclones are for separating large bits from the dust. Vacuuming up dust will more than likely end up in the P&J, because it's dust - but when you're using a planer it's heavier bits, which wouldn't (shouldn't) end up in the P&J at all. You would, eventually need to empty the P&J but it should be much less often. I use the contents from the cyclone bucket in mine for the wood burner, to get it going.

Back