Original finish on Tyzack Sons & Turner tenon saw handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Another finishing question

I am renovating my mothers Tyzack sons & Turner brass back tenon saw

She probably bought it new in the 1950s or 60s

I have used it since she passed away in 1969 and thought it high time I renovated it

Any idea what the original finish on the handle might have been?

What remained of it was very thin and patchy and sanded off easily

Well it was either varnish or lacquer. I'm not sure if it's known for sure what they used and the product literature from the time might be unhelpful as even if it said "lacquered hardwood handles" or somesuch the word lacquered was (and sometimes still is) used generically rather than to identify the actual finish used used.

From the contemporary handles I've seen and had pass through my hands I'd say varnish is the more likely of the two.

Just because it was originally varnished/lacquered of course doesn't mean you have to use either again, at least not in the same way. It would have been really glossy and many now actively dislike both the look and feel of high-gloss finishes on tool handles and prefer a more in-the-wood look such as provided by BLO or Danish oil, even occasionally just wax applied directly to the bare wood.

But obviously you can finish it in anything you like, including paint, or nothing at all.

Thanks for yours

What was left of the finish, is varnish was very thin indeed, it sanded off very easily

What about shellac ?

whatknot":1ou2xbx1 said:
it sanded off very easily
The old finish on handles of this sort of age does tend to be very degraded and not clinging to the wood very strongly any more. If it's very far gone it can even be crumbly enough to flake off with a fingernail.

whatknot":1ou2xbx1 said:
What about shellac ?
Shellac's a great finish for tool handles. Can be used thin or thick, from a quick wipe to partially seal the wood off and help it fend off going grubby to a full-on French polishing job if you prefer a properly glossy surface.

Thanks for that

I have scraped off old shellac on other tools and that scraped off in chunks almost, this saw handle seemed finer almost like thinned varnish

I tried shellac on a plane I am also doing and that came up beautifully so will probably use it on the saw handle as well

The plane was also my mothers, once I have done the tenon saw I have a brace and bit of hers to sort out, my mother was the hands on person round the house rather than my father, despite his working with his hands all day

I hope she would be pleased at the results

ED65":2phrjdf8 said:
whatknot":2phrjdf8 said:
it sanded off very easily
The old finish on handles of this sort of age does tend to be very degraded and not clinging to the wood very strongly any more. If it's very far gone it can even be crumbly enough to flake off with a fingernail.

whatknot":2phrjdf8 said:
What about shellac ?
Shellac's a great finish for tool handles. Can be used thin or thick, from a quick wipe to partially seal the wood off and help it fend off going grubby to a full-on French polishing job if you prefer a properly glossy surface.

Im a big fan of shellac on tools, I tend to wipe on 2 coats in quick succession and the apply wax using steel wool. Its such a tactile finish its perfect for tools and its so quick to reapply if you feel the need.

matt

The ‘normal’ finish joiners wood use would be to remove the varnish and give it a few coated of boiled Linseed oil.

Thanks for that, I elected to go with shellac in the end, five or so coats and am quite happy with the results

I have used BOL on other items to good effect

deema":tbe0dunu said:
The ‘normal’ finish joiners wood use would be to remove the varnish and give it a few coated of boiled Linseed oil.

Latest posts

Back