Options for finishing bathroom counter top in cold garage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a counter top that I want to get finished and when I did one in the summer I used Rustins Plastic Coating, which worked a treat, but I tried Rustins this time around and it never went off. My initial thought was that I had gotten the mix ratios wrong so I then embarked on a painful exercise of scraping it off. I now realise that is was most likely down to the temperature in the garage being < 10 Celsius.

I have epoxy resin to hand too if that will cure at colder temperatures?

I do have a heater, but to get the temperature up to 20 celsius in my garage with a non insulated door and single skin walls will mean my 2KW heater running on full for hours.

Any advice appreciated.

Were either the plastic or the hardener old? I've had odd things happen with RPC in the past. Were your tops the same material? On some timbers the first coat can take age, then on it's as normal. Is it worth screwing the job up to save three or four quid's worth of electricity?

phil.p":2hde7inl said:
Were either the plastic or the hardener old? I've had odd things happen with RPC in the past. Were your tops the same material? On some timbers the first coat can take age, then on it's as normal. Is it worth screwing the job up to save three or four quid's worth of electricity?

The plastic coating and hardener are a couple of years old. I might mix up another batch, stick the heater on and try it on a sample piece. As the RPC lasts for a good few days in a sealed container I can then use the same batch if it does go off this time around.

Latest posts

Back