One haned user workbench...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,
I had a weekend off, but managed to tackle a couple of saw mounts thingys :mrgreen:
ZksR5MC.jpg

dJYFo3r.jpg

cant wai to get a shadow board up tbh.
Bri

getting there.....
0qLoH1i.jpg

aching hand with plane and sanding blocks, so new toys to play with.
ByxGViH.jpg

mind one handed using the sander is an art!! :lol:
Bri

Hi all.
been planing and gluing yesterday.
so far ok.
gQUUdsn.jpg

this is going to be a partition in a Art canvas cabinet , for my sister.
Alas the wood I got from B&Q was utter dog toffee.
So I ended up spending more money from wickes and found the planks had a great edge, but minimum planing.
The wood is Redwood.
As I said not cheap :lol:
here is a basic idea what is supposed to come out like :shock: fingers crossed :mrgreen:
HvnSlZ9.jpg

Off to glue up another partition.
TBC
Bri

Blimey! To me that looks good for a 2-handed bloke. As a one-hander I think you (and your sister) should be well chuffed with your work. Well done mate =D>

Been looking at a lot of work benches designs, so if I make another one.
1wXJGDq.jpg

I just jumped in tbh, not thinking.
Ohh well, i'll learn. :oops:
Bri

The good thing is its only secured with screws, so I could dis mantle it.
Once I find the better way to do it.
Love WIP... :lol:
Bri

Good for you Bri.
Have you thought about cross bracing the legs for extra stability?
There's a guy called Richard Maguire who goes under the online name of the English Woodworker.
There's some info on some of his benches here https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/ca ... workbench/
The reason I mention him is not that you build some super bench but that I remember seeing a bench that he had cross braced in a diagonal manner. So not end leg to end leg at 90 degrees but from the bench top(ish) to the bottom corner of the opposite.
I'm making this seem hard...
If you are working from right to left as a right hander you would fix brace high on the right side and low on the left ideally front and back. Think the idea is displacement of energy and to me at least it makes a lot of sense but I'm no engineer.
I have searched but I can't find the pictures I saw originally. Apologies.
Maybe the clever types can explain the maths but it looks sensible to me in laymans terms because you are directing any force down to the floor more than racking it sideways.
Good to see you are back and cracking on fella. Bench looks like a practical solution. =D>
Well done fella.
Regards
Chris

Bm101":2d1by351 said:
Good for you Bri.
Have you thought about cross bracing the legs for extra stability?
There's a guy called Richard Maguire who goes under the online name of the English Woodworker.
There's some info on some of his benches here https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/ca ... workbench/
The reason I mention him is not that you build some super bench but that I remember seeing a bench that he had cross braced in a diagonal manner. So not end leg to end leg at 90 degrees but from the bench top(ish) to the bottom corner of the opposite.
I'm making this seem hard... Ha! Ha! that's my job..making it so hard to explain
But you doing it better than me =D>
If you are working from right to left as a right hander you would fix brace high on the right side and low on the left ideally front and back. Think the idea is displacement of energy and to me at least it makes a lot of sense but I'm no engineer.
I have searched but I can't find the pictures I saw originally. Apologies.
Maybe the clever types can explain the maths but it looks sensible to me in laymans terms because you are directing any force down to the floor more than racking it sideways.
Good to see you are back and cracking on fella. Bench looks like a practical solution. =D>
Well done fella.
Regards
Chris
TBH Chris unless I see a pic, as you said itll takes a long time to fathom out what supposed to do...even layman terms...so I apologise.
I really appreciate taking the time and explain. =D>
Its a PITA sometimes having a broken brain :mrgreen:
M8, theres some lovely benches there, I can only be inspired.
One day :wink:
thanks so much pal, and putting up with my woffle lol.
Bri

I did a very quick sketch Bri. I didn't do a great job in explaining so don't apologise, my fault.

efZob0g.jpg

Top one is weakest.
I don't know if two or three is intrinsically stronger. Maybe those with more knowledge can shine some light?
The reason I mentioned it was that it struck me that on a smallish bench like yours when you have it against the wall it might work better because you can screw/bolt it to the back faces (screw it onto the back of the bench that's against the wall) with no alteration to what you have built then I'd be after putting a couple of coach screws or similar into the wall. If you buy a pack of washers to fit the bolts you can take out any lack of square in the walls so your bench sits dead flat against the wall. Bench racking and movement gone for almost no cost which means in practical terms you're working on a stable surface.
Hope that makes more sense fella.
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":1stzxca2 said:
I did a very quick sketch Bri. I didn't do a great job in explaining so don't apologise, my fault.

efZob0g.jpg

Top one is weakest.
I don't know if two or three is intrinsically stronger. Maybe those with more knowledge can shine some light?
The reason I mentioned it was that it struck me that on a smallish bench like yours when you have it against the wall it might work better because you can screw/bolt it to the back faces (screw it onto the back of the bench that's against the wall) with no alteration to what you have built then I'd be after putting a couple of coach screws or similar into the wall. If you buy a pack of washers to fit the bolts you can take out any lack of square in the walls so your bench sits dead flat against the wall. Bench racking and movement gone for almost no cost which means in practical terms you're working on a stable surface.
Hope that makes more sense fella.
Cheers
Chris
Chris, straight away I got it, from the pics etc.
Thank you very much for taking the time n effort to reply, really appreciate it :D =D>
I look at the sturdiness of it all, and the wall fixing is the way ahead..
Been tinkering this morning.
7I1dZCr.jpg

ill replace the wood tops...or once I get planer should I say.
Then magnate holders are great.
vWVSt2i.jpg

Always loads to change.
Bri

Great stuff Bri. Glad I could help a little.
I'm lucky enough to have a shed that's big enough for a couple of benches and a Mrs that didn't think she was on Grand Designs when we moved here and try to claim it as a 'space'
One of mine is just an old garden table. I braced the legs and screwed a sheet of ply to the top. You could use mdf etc . Whatever you can pick up.
I use that for lots of stuff. I have my grinders and that bolted to it. I also have another 'bench' that was an old school table with a metal frame. I have my vices bolted to that and that's where i file away a bit of bronze when I get a bit of time spare every once in a while.
Meanwhile my woodworking bench is a big lump of glued together (cheap) hardwood that still sits on the aldi trestles I bought to make it on because I've never got round to fitting the legs... :oops:
Criminal but it works. :D
I could use the vice sometimes but I get round it for my limited needs.
The bench works as it is for most stuff.
When I get this round of work done on the house I'd like to finish the bench this winter.
My point is you have a place to do your work. Why worry about flattening the top with a plane? Screw a bit of mdf down you are good to go.
Good work bad work or indifferent? Doesn't matter as much as you are doing the work because you have a space to do it. At least in my mind.
Cheer Bri
One beginner to another mind,
Regards,
Chris.

Bm101":38fihipv said:
Great stuff Bri. Glad I could help a little.
I'm lucky enough to have a shed that's big enough for a couple of benches and a Mrs that didn't think she was on Grand Designs when we moved here and try to claim it as a 'space'
One of mine is just an old garden table. I braced the legs and screwed a sheet of ply to the top. You could use mdf etc . Whatever you can pick up.
I use that for lots of stuff. I have my grinders and that bolted to it. I also have another 'bench' that was an old school table with a metal frame. I have my vices bolted to that and that's where i file away a bit of bronze when I get a bit of time spare every once in a while.
Meanwhile my woodworking bench is a big lump of glued together (cheap) hardwood that still sits on the aldi trestles I bought to make it on because I've never got round to fitting the legs... :oops:
Criminal but it works. :D
I could use the vice sometimes but I get round it for my limited needs.
The bench works as it is for most stuff.
When I get this round of work done on the house I'd like to finish the bench this winter.
My point is you have a place to do your work. Why worry about flattening the top with a plane? Screw a bit of mdf down you are good to go.
Good work bad work or indifferent? Doesn't matter as much as you are doing the work because you have a space to do it. At least in my mind.
Cheer Bri
One beginner to another mind,
Regards,
Chris.

Morning Chris,
I like your style with using what space and wood etc. you have.
Not being a snob or owt! :lol: but after years of re-using old desks and stuff, it was about time I attempted to make my own.
Not as easy as I imagine, specially using the 'Grey matter!' #-o
Bloody breat idea about the MDF! I couldn't think of it myself, things so simple are 'Tunnel vision' as far as me using my brain.
Mind! If the price I paid for plywood board yesterday is anything to go by (£17), covering a area of 165cm x 46cm might be bit expensive...but don't know as yet.
Eventually I will get my knife grinders installed, as I've been away from it for so long :cry:
But small steps and all that.
At least I see a progress, pics are wort and all :lol:
from this.
dObpuC0.jpg

to that, not perfect but defo an improvement.
x05PdpV.jpg

And my planning and laminating is getting better :mrgreen:
from this.
08d8EZ4.jpg

To this.
QfPRamU.jpg

Now starting another project(s), so itll be on shorty.
Of to cut out plywood by hand saw, my daily workout :lol:
Bri

Back