Old Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A friend of a friend who's dad has passed on, has been left a number of planes (mostly Stanley) and he wants to sell them.
I am interested but i have no idea what these tools are worth and i am hoping that someone here can help me. Some are boxed and others have a description card from when his dad displayed them

The first one is a Stanley No85 scraper plane with what looks like a rosewood handle. He wants £100 for this. No box.

Scottish smoothing plane. Rosewood handle. Mathieson on the iron. 8" long 2"5/8 wide. He wants £20 No box.

Chariot Plane by Buck of London. He wants £15 No box

Stanley No3 Smoothing plane. 8" long. Looks brand new. Boxed £20.

Stanley No72 Chanfer Plane. 9" long. With bullnose and beading attachment. 4 cutters. No box. He wants £100.

Stanley No39 Dado plane. No Box. He wants £30.

Standley No55. Combination Plane with 10 cutters. He wants £75.

Does anyone know anything about the above? Are they worth the price he is asking? Or can anyone tell me where i can find any information on them.

Regards

Mike.C

Mike,

We'll I'm not an expert, being more of a bottom feeder, but I reckon he's under valuing these planes rather a lot.

The Stanley #85 and Stanley #72 are both rare planes for a start. The #39s aren't exactly common over here either. A #55, even with only 10 cutters if in good condition could easily go for more than that. The infills I've even less knowledge of, but everything about those prices screams "not enough" to me. The only one close to the right value is the #3, and if that's an old one in good nick even that is probably too cheap. If you can handle the guilt scoop 'em all up at those prices, sell the rare ones on the 'Bay and have a tool fund to die for. The nicer thing to do would be to strongly urge this chap to contact a couple of dealers and get some advice. I don't envy you the choice, but I'm pretty sure I'd know what I'd do.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Mike,

I'd have to agree with Alf - they're underpriced, or at least some of them, eg, two Stanley 55's went on eBay UK for £150 each last month.

Of course, so much depends on the details, but should be worth a bit of effort.

Hi All,

Alf, Pete, I do not know why i did not think of it before but i had a look around the American websites and you are both right he really has under valued them. I realise that it all depends on their condition but the average prices are as follows:

No 72 $1,100, No 85 $1000, No 55 $950, No3 $200, and the No39 $150. I could not find anything about the others.

As you can see he really does not know what they are worth.

Alf, what are you talking about "IF I CAN HANDLE THE GUILT?" I will not feel guilty, it is his fault that he does not know the prices. Your idea of selling them and having a tool fund to die is excellent. If i am lucky and play my cards right i may even get enough to get a used Felder combination machine. What ever happeneds i can get myself a radial arm saw, or one of the new Scheppach 4010 cast iron table saws.

Then i woke up and the dream was over. How can i rip this bloke off? I am not pretending that i am whiter then white, but he has already lost his dad and it just isn't right that he should lose all this money too.

As you mentioned i have told him to go and see a few dealers.

I do not know what anyone else would have done (some would say i am stupid) but when i told him he was really over the moon and to me that was as good as any Felder.

Regards

Mike.C

PS Oh dung what have i done? I could have had a lovely little FEEELLLDDDDEEERRR

Good on you, Mike. Difficult, of course, but you obviously made the right decision - you'll sleep easily on that. Well done - great to see honesty and integrity in action!

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi billzee,

How are you mate? i am happy to see you are back again.

I do not know how honest they were but he ended up selling them for £1,250 which is hell of a lot more then the £300+ that he was going to sell them to me for, and this was without the No39 which he gave to me for nothing. I think he also kept the Scottish smoothing plane

Good to have you back.

Regards

Mike.C

Hi Mike

Thanks for the welcome back. :)

Can't keep a goodun down for long m8 :wink:

Sounds like your friend got a good deal on the planes. It worked out well for everyone

cheers

Billzee

Latest posts

Back