Ok, I'm stupid. What *is* a decent saw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a new table saw and shedding the much loved Inca and Emco.
Just about every thread on here about table saws includes somewhere in it the phrase "cut well once I threw away the factory blade and fitted a decent one", or similar.

So just what *is* a decent table saw blade? How do you know? What are the good brands? Is price a reliable indicator?

Freud are generally regarded as some of the best (at least for enthusiasts). I have three blades, and find them fantastic

I tend to use Swedex, Omas and CMT (Chrome) with all of them I buy the industrial professional range. I find that they run true, flat, the carbide inserts are big for multiple sharpening, stays sharp for longer and have good noise suppression characteristics, well balanced with the hole actually in the centre.

The next most important factor is to find a Saw sharpener that uses a fully automatic CNC machine

I’ve started to use this chap.
https://priestnersaws.co.uk

His sharpening is absolutely brilliant. A newly sharpened saw produces a finish that’s soooo close to a hand planed finish on a decent Saw.

Another vote for Frued, transformed my machine, I do give them a lick with a diamond stone occasionally to keep them fresh during a heavy session with Oak.

Mike

Another vote for Swedex or Freud.Thanks Deema I will try the sharpening service you reccomend,I've been looking for someone good for ages.

Wealden do good saw blades too, although I suspect they may be made by Atkinson Walker too.

Latest posts

Back