Oil bowl finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter7

Reaction score
Hi
I am just completing a bowl that I think is made from Horse Chestnut. I have been using Danish Oil for finishes but I noticed that when I put an initial coat (that I have now sanded off) of Danish Oil on the chestnut it darkened rather more than I would prefer. This morning I contacted those very helpful people at Wood Finishes Direct and was advised that Osmo Polyx Oil Raw would be suitable. I have no reason to doubt the advice but would appreciate any other views on a food safe oil finish that will not substantially darken the wood.
Any experience of the Osmo oil would also be helpful.
Thanks.

Peter7":1ghqmilo said:
Hi
I am just completing a bowl that I think is made from Horse Chestnut. I have been using Danish Oil for finishes but I noticed that when I put an initial coat (that I have now sanded off) of Danish Oil on the chestnut it darkened rather more than I would prefer. This morning I contacted those very helpful people at Wood Finishes Direct and was advised that Osmo Polyx Oil Raw would be suitable. I have no reason to doubt the advice but would appreciate any other views on a food safe oil finish that will not substantially darken the wood.
Any experience of the Osmo oil would also be helpful.
Thanks.

I did a burr not long back and used Chestnuts food safe oil and wax on it THIS was the end product

I often use Osmo Polyx Oil on bowls and platters and turned pcs and haven't had any darkening issues. I also use it on furniture as I quite like the finish that it produces.

Back