oil/Arkansas stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IPA sounds like a good option, but I prefer Cheshirechappie option : "mystic moments" massaging oil. I'm sure it turns the sharpening session into a whole new experience ...

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Just to throw another option into the equation, some years ago I used Spyderco ceramic stones which were pretty good as I recollect. The main problem with them was that some, not all, tended to be slightly 'bowed'. The ultra fine one I used (then available at Ax, but no longer) was true. The other issue was that the surface soon became glazed but this could be remedied by rubbing with a diamond stone - Rob

woodbloke66":3prya0ku said:
Just to throw another option into the equation, some years ago I used Spyderco ceramic stones which were pretty good as I recollect. The main problem with them was that some, not all, tended to be slightly 'bowed'. The ultra fine one I used (then available at Ax, but no longer) was true. The other issue was that the surface soon became glazed but this could be remedied by rubbing with a diamond stone - Rob

I found them pretty good. My medium stone was slightly out of flat, but 'good enough'. The ultra-fine was as flat as anyone could want, but had grinding marks. Didn't seem to affect it's use, though.

The manufacturers suggest using them dry, and clean with a pan-scrub and water if they glaze. I found that used thus they very much did glaze, and needed a pretty severe pan-scrub when they did. Used with water and bit of washing-up liquid to kill the surface tension, they didn't glaze, and worked well.

Overall, I was quite impressed. As I mentioned earlier, the medium is slower-cutting than a fine India oilstone, but gives a slightly better edge. A subsequent polish on the fine gave an edge good enough for pretty well anything a woodworker could need. Shame the medium wasn't dead flat - they'd be hard to beat as a sharpening solution if it was. They come in a strong plastic box, too, and don't take up much storage space. They'd be ideal as a site stone.

Back