Oak Saw Cabinet / Saw Till

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Established Member
Reaction score
Having amassed a fair few hand saws of various types and sizes during the past year or two, I thought it about time I made a storage solution of some sort for them, preferably wall-mounted to keep them tidy and out of the way. I spent several weeks researching a few different possibilities and studying ideas for a saw cabinet or saw till. One that often came up was the 'Galoot' saw till but it's the one with a rather poor design of dovetailed top/back rail. Others had drawers which I didn't want to do, or were not an appealing design.

In the end I decided to create my own version from American White Oak but with the shape of the sides based on the creation of Blended Woodworking and Youtube's 'treebangham'. This involves two quarter ellipses (I believe they are an ovolo and a cavetto), separated by a fillet. The sides would be dovetailed at the bottom to hold a pin board across the bottom of the cabinet.

Most designs call for mortise and tenons for joining the back rails to the sides, leaving a very thin wall to the rear of the mortise as you might imagine. As I had decided to support the cabinet using a French cleat on the top rail, I changed all the back rail's joints to a lapped single dovetail, the tail being on the rail so that once assembled, the rail would keep the sides together. It also meant good strength for the top rail which would ultimately be supporting all the weight via the cleat, as I could reinforce the joint with screws from the rear.

To support the saws themselves I decided on a large diameter dowel rod into each side, which would then allow me to use the bottom shelf to put things like saw sets and small files on. The upper two rails also would have a section mounted on them with kerfs to house the saw blades. I left the top of the saw cabinet open and unobstructed to allow room for the longest saws of 28-30 inches.

The finish I used, after sanding down to 400 grit, was two or three coats of Antique Oil, rubbed over with a cloth between each coat, followed by, depending on the colour of each piece, either one or two coats of Liberon Black Bison Medium Oak Paste Wax.

Following is a pictorial record of progress, which has been around five months - building my workbench got in the way but it proved useful for the final assembly work.

The ellipses on paper, created using an online ellipse generator and printed out on A4.

GPTq9LP.jpg

The timber used in the project.

N7qqQvI.jpg

The ellipse templates in place on the board being used, ready for cutting. I didn't have a bandsaw at this point so had to use a hand saw and several cuts, followed by planing, rasping and a spokeshave to get the final shape.

hU4vTQF.jpg

At least I could do both sides at the same time, some small compensation for the difficulty in doing it completely by hand.

i9agcan.jpg

Once I'd shaped the sides, time to get the dovetails cut - again I was able to do both tail sides at the same time with the tails first method.

TeiHOuc.jpg

My torture instrument, aka 10" brace - that was HARD work getting through oak with a 22mm bit. Since then I've bought a 12" brace!

NDO3nqg.jpg

The completed hole in the side.

RXHcr1O.jpg

Next was the pin board or bottom board, planing square and removing twist.

GyCJJC9.jpg

Sanding the pin board, using 120 then 240 and finally 400 grit. The other boards received the same treatment.

tYVvqnG.jpg

The completed tail boards.

K25EJl3.jpg

Cutting the pins.

pO09PEI.jpg

Pins completed.

zNqgAuL.jpg

Sawing, chiselling and completing the recess for the lapped dovetail in the side boards.

uWI4kfN.jpg

mkrIYFL.jpg

yevnpE2.jpg

Creating the tail on the back rail boards.

L5gwF34.jpg

One of the back rails, the top one, with the French cleat angle cut in, and next to it, the section which will be kerfed and mounted on the rail.

AsHemBz.jpg

The two square sections with kerfs created using a mitre saw.

irTdHkU.jpg

All three back rails ready for assembling to the sides.

t60Z2fF.jpg

Doing a spot of finishing on the parts which will become inaccessible once assembled, using Antique Oil.

mQo38K8.jpg

The back rails and sides ready for assembly - the bottom board was also ready but I forgot to include it in the photo!

tJTPinC.jpg

First assembly, glueing up, before finishing.

idyDsoP.jpg

After finishing and before wall mounting.

rqIb0qF.jpg

Finally on the wall! If you look closely you'll see the lower part of the French cleat screwed to the wall, underneath the top rail.

o0gMvWZ.jpg

And filled with saws! I needed a central support as the dowel rod did bend ever so slightly with all the weight, which I was half expecting so had prepared a piece ready.

OSNjHFX.jpg

Took a long time to get there but wow, was it worth it once I did?! You bet!

Any comments welcomed, as always.

That's the only design of saw till that has tempted me to make one. Looks good, looks practical and very nicely made. Now if it could take a few Japanese saws too ....

looks great! I need to get collecting more saws yet before I'll need one :D

I like the profile of the two uprights, very elegant =D>

Thanks for the comments!

Any questions or close-ups of anything, measurements, anything like that, feel free to shout and I'll get an answer for you asap.

I can't take credit for the design of the sides as such, 'treebangham' on Youtube was the one who I copied, and I believe he in turn copied the design from Phil of Blended Woodworking. All I did was modify the design to fit the size of cabinet I wanted - which when it comes to quarter ellipses takes a bit of head-scratching and maths.

Good news too - a day later and it's still on the wall... :mrgreen:

Ahh its come out excellently! I was fortunate enough to see it mid way through and even then it was looking good. Not bad for your first dovetails in anger eh Nick!

Now that you're done, what might you do in a different way next time?

Cracking job Nick! I'd be more than well chuffed with that. I'd have it on my living room wall... for 5 minutes until the OH told me where to "put" it ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nice work Nick. I especially like your version with the open back and dovetailed rails. Well crafted and documented too. Thanks for sharing this. Best regards. Ken

Thanks for the further comments, and a particular thanks also to Ken (treebangham) for posting here, as the initial inspiration for this project.

My next project won't likely be until autumn as too many outdoor jobs to do now, but will hopefully be a mitre and square combination shooting board.

Very nice indeed =D> Only problem I can see, judging by your saw collection, you might soon need another one :D

Cheers
Simon

Back