Oak library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Well sort of.......

q9bbGXF.jpg

XFLY1P4.jpg

6TPro7m.jpg

We did this about 2 years ago, so off hand I couldn't tell you the hours. There is also another wall of furniture so 3 walls in total, but a rough guess would be 240hrs (a workshop week) to make and 40hrs fitting.

I can't remember if the panels were solid or not, personally I prefer bookmatched veneers but we do what ever the client chooses.

Looks great, top job as always.

Feel bad saying something negative but I don't like where the knobs are, I always think they look better lower down. I know some people like them in the top corner but it just looks wrong to me.

Would be interested in what other people think?

Doug :oops:

Elegant, simple, tidy. Good job.

Regarding the knobs, I drill the hole usually about 10-20mm below the bottom edge of the rail.
Although, whenever I can, I let the clients decide. If they have the time I encourage them to
choose/ buy the handles themselves. Most people like to participate in a project in some way.

Doug71":d185u2re said:
......Feel bad saying something negative but I don't like where the knobs are, I always think they look better lower down.......

I was going to say the exact opposite. Nice to see the knobs where they should be, where people can use them without crouching.

Doug71":1efklali said:

Feel bad saying something negative but I don't like where the knobs are, I always think they look better lower down. I know some people like them in the top corner but it just looks wrong to me.

Lower down probably wouldn't make sense on a floor cabinet. Wall cabinet, yes.

Doug71":3cbzu604 said:

Totally agree, our standard is 120mm down, but the client has the final decision.

Handle should be reachable. So top corner for me on a low cabinet. I hate when aesthetics becomes more important than function.

On this piece i do think the knobs alter the look of the doors. If I was the client I may have opted for either a push to open/close mechanism or a recess cut into the rear upper edge of the doors to act as a handle. Either of those would mean no handle to change the look, but an easy to reach/open door mechanism too.

Love the work on the whole. Simple and clean - very much my style.

Looks very nice & "clean" Dr. Bob.

A general Q if I may - the "steamer trunk" you see in the coffee table position in Pic 1 - does it have any value at all?

The reason for the Q is that we have one, looks very similar, and I was thinking of just chucking it away.

(Sorry for thread drift).

AES

That looks incredible

Do you have any photos of how those fluted panels are scribed against the wall? It's always a stress of mine to scribe a fluted column piece as I find I'm drawing attention to a slightly out of plumb wall

TIA

jpor4180":jmuyybdz said:
That looks incredible

Do you have any photos of how those fluted panels are scribed against the wall? It's always a stress of mine to scribe a fluted column piece as I find I'm drawing attention to a slightly out of plumb wall

TIA

No pics but on fluted columns if the wall is out i'll always scribe a small infill behind the post (maybe 20mm showing) that way you don't touch the post, otherwise as you say the aesthetics of the post are lost

AES":35dus5a4 said:
Looks very nice & "clean" Dr. Bob.

A general Q if I may - the "steamer trunk" you see in the coffee table position in Pic 1 - does it have any value at all?

The reason for the Q is that we have one, looks very similar, and I was thinking of just chucking it away.

(Sorry for thread drift).

AES

yes if you can find the right buyer, no if you chuck it on ebay. they sell in fashionable "I saw you coming" shops for up to a few hundred quid, if you are smart enough to go to the less popular places (like junk stores and sort of antique but not really type places) they can be had for 20-50 quid.

as to the cabinets, very nice, and very imposing, guess it's all been ripped out for the latest fashion now though.

Thanks novocaine. I think I know the sort of shops you mean, we have a few here too.
¨
Completely off topic now (sorry, thread drift) it seem that the pallet furniture fashion has taken off here too. Visiting my local DIY place today (for some more of those QR plugs) they had a complete set of garden furniture, chairs, table, wind break, wine rack, etc, ALL made out of pallets! AND they were selling pallets "new" at 29 Francs each (the ER is about 1.3 Francs to the £ so you work it out. Presumably the pallets that their own stuff had arrived on).

Oh yeah, nice library BTW ;-)

AES

Back