NVR wired out-not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
A few weeks ago there was a discussion where several people said they had wired out their NVR switches, and I expressed my disapproval on safety grounds.
Lo and behold, barely 3 weeks later I was faced with this option.

Background first.....
My old extraction system broke beyond repair. It did not come with an NVR and because it was a screamer in operation I enclosed the whole thing in a sound deadening box. As I had no access to the simple on / off switch supplied with it I had wired its socket to two switches at opposite ends of the working area. It worked the same as a hall light can be switched on or off either from upstairs or down. That saved me walking many steps every day.

The new axminster craft blower I replaced it with DOES have an NVR, and I am not prepared to lose this safety switch so I had to do a bit of thinking :shock: :shock:
I also did not want to go the "remote control pad" option because I have enough trouble keeping track of keys and phones, I would never be able to locate the fob without an hours searching every morning. #-o #-o :roll:
So heres the answer that works for me;
The unit is plugged into a wall socket as normal, but I broke into the motor live in wire, and diverted it to my two switches.
I have a minor extra step to take each day when I go into the workshop, I turn on the wall socket for the extractor and press the NVR switch, but the unit does not start up. It sits in idle mode untill I click one of the switches near to the machine I'm using. Business as usual. If the power did go off it would trigger the NVR and the machine could not restart by itself.
I make a habit of walking around and clicking all socket switches off when I leave every night so theres no extra work involved there, just the one / two combination at start of play.

This might encourage few to wire in their NVR's again hopefully (hammer) (hammer) 8)

Do I understand it correctly Bob that you’ve altered the extractor wiring (broke into motor live wire)?

I was one of those you got grumpy with and I never bothered to explain my rationale. An NVR is there purely to prevent inadvertant reenergising in the event of external power loss. It serves no other function, it is not an interlock in any way, shape or form.

In the average DIY workshop a power cut would be immediately noticeable and apart from swearing and resetting it’s generally not an issue to have an extractor start up again when power is restored.

If you’re up to your armpits in fanblades (or any machine come to that) without isolating first then you are a bit of a muppet anyhow.

There are a completly different set of rules for industrial work and I would never suggest anything remotely similar.

It’s also horses for courses and I wouldn’t wire out the NVR on my router table.

Stuart, Yes, horses for courses, and in a proper workshop with employees I would not dream of doing or advocating this kind of thing.
But in a hobby situation where the owner is the only person involved, this works well.

Its important to stress my NVR is NOT wired out. It is still fully operational.
After a lifetime of working on machines that were capable of killing or maiming me in an instant I know a careful man should not need one, but old people (and that now includes me and a very large percentage of the people here) get forgetfull, and mistakes will happen. I think an NVR switch on any appliance is a good thing.

But like you, I didnt want to keep walking back and fore every time I turned it on and off.
My original thought was to get a remote switch, but as said, I know I forget where I put things, and finding a remote every five minutes would bring my hobby to a standstill.
This works well for convenience while still keeping me safe from my own foolishness. #-o

I took out the NVR on my extractor so I could use a remote socket. I don't consider the extractor to be a dangerous tool in the same way that a table saw or bandsaw is.

I left my NVR in and I can still use a remote socket (if I felt I could keep track of the fob :roll: ).
I consider all power tools to have a potential danger if they start up by themselves.
Each to their own, I'm merely suggesting an alternative.

I bypassed the fitted NVR and use a remote, not keyfob more like a small TV remote. Safety isn't compromised as the remote is in itself a NVR switch. If the mains goes down with the extractor running, it won't restart when power restored, without pressing the remote.

I replaced the NVR on my 3-phase blower assembly with a latching contactor controlled by easy to reach push buttons for starting and stopping. The latching contactor functions similar to the NVR and de-energizes if power is lost.

Whilst I appreciate that the OP is still using the NVR switch please bear in mind if you are considering removing or bypassing an NVR it may well have overload installed within the unit and or offer some other form of protection for the motor. If you are not sure please get some professional advice.

Back