Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

 Reply
User avatar
By NOTTNICK
#1266352
Yes, I unscrewed it. Blew air in. Couldn't take it right off as the rotating metal piece at end of the spindle is in the way. Is it possible to get that piece off? I can't see how as it looks like it is firmly attached. Not much dust came out though.
By JWD
#1266357
Thats some terrible luck! any word from the person you bought it from? seems very coincidental to have an issue pop up just after purchasing it!

if no-one is offering you any assistance, personally i would take the thing as far apart as possible and check and double check each component along the way. Could be a really simple fix you're overlooking

I do have a VS system i built myself for my lathe but it's all separate and I don't have any experience with NOVA. What is the heat build up like just before it cuts out?
User avatar
By Walnut Les
#1266380
From what I have read when the Nova lathes go wrong it is a costly fix.
They do say to clear the dust out by a sensor that's in them but they normally need new circuit boards put in them. (at a cost of about 450 to 500 pounds)
They can suffer with power surging problems so I always unplug my one when not in use and always have it plugged into a power serg protector when using it.

One thing that a few people have said that has worked for them is to unplug the ribbon lead inside the control box and refit it back in again.

I hope that you find an easy fix for your one and that doesn't cost you too much. Les
User avatar
By NOTTNICK
#1267274
Update
After a lot of troubleshooting and calls to Teknatool in USA, I do have an answer. They are incredibly helpful.
It is certainly the circuit boards.
I have removed them with the expert help of Pete Maddex (one of UKworkshop's excellent contributors).
It also looks like the seller is liable for repair, so it might be that I'll be sending them across the Atlantic for replacement. It is expensive, but it does mean that I shall have a fully working lathe.
He is looking into PCB repairs locally, but I am not certain it will work out cheaper (or even possible).
I shall post more when I know what the final outcome is.
Cheers
User avatar
By NOTTNICK
#1271194
Amazing news.
After some excellent support from Nova (including a few chats with their engineer), and their offer to upgrade / repair for about £450. I found a company in Coalville who specialise in fixing PCBs
http://www.greasley.co.uk/
who took things on.
They found that one of the microprocessors was overheating and replaced it.
I got it back today and Bingo it is all working.
It took a while but in the end a good outcome (and of course the seller is paying for the repairs).
Thanks for all the advice here.
Nick
User avatar
By NOTTNICK
#1272007
Hi Pete
I meant to email you but I have been so, so busy.
The guys at Greasley originally thought it was a bad contact on the power supply.
They sent it back, but it wasn’t fixed however they had given a guarantee. It occurred to me that the best course of action was to take the lathe head to them so they could ensure it worked (or not) before returning it.
It transpired that a microprocessor was overheating and they diagnosed it by spraying it with some coolant whilst it was running.
A replacement meant that everything was good. They even reassembled all the circuitry.
That meant of course that I could test it out straight away. It works a treat.
I wouldn’t be here without the help you gave me Pete, I feel guilty for not emailing you straight away but I got carried away gouging out bits of wood at the weekend and then distracted by heavy work commitments this week.
There were many anxious moments.
I have now put the old lathe and lots of the extras on EBay so hopefully I’ll get something towards the upgrade.
By the way, the seller paid for the repairs in full.
Cheers
Nick