not the greatest first post!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Collier

Reaction score
hi all, and hello from a new member and Turner having only been turning for a few weeks id just like to share a couple of pictures for those that occasionally forget to wear there masks this happened to me on Friday when a 200 x 200mm cube of douglas fir decided it didn't want to be a bowl :) i was very lucky not to have been killed or at least blinded by the resulting carnage the catch snapped my tool rest off at the shaft and bent a Sorby scraper into a vague banana shape, so always remember to wear your masks people :)

all the best and thanks for the add

Neil
28701389_1623958164357415_7956890676132458204_o.jpg

Attachments

• 28701389_1623958164357415_7956890676132458204_o.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,084
Hope all is well now and hope this does not put you off turning but as you say protection is a must hope you know what you were doing to get the catch and can that be avoided in the future. I very sharp learning curve to be taken from this.

it hasn't put me off mate just taught me a valuable lesson, plus the expense of a new tool rest and scraper i had no idea of the force of a proper catch, it snapped a 3/4 inch cast rest like a twig, i can only shudder at what might have happened had it not broken

If you can saw off the corners it will help.
Also I have learned to adopt the gyno position when starting blanks, ie work from the spindle end face on to the work and not the sides.. You will find transitioning from front face to side with a bowl gauge easier than attacking a cornered outside edge. This also puts you out of the line of fire if anything nasty happens as a failure will nearly always result in things flying off at right angles to the spindle and not towards the tails stock end.

lol i saw a video on youtube :) chap called Dipa Das he made a winged hollow form but he used scrapers rather than gouges so i thought id have a bash, didn't go quite as well as id hoped :D

Neil - Hope your on the mend, looks painful that!!!!!
With respect as a new turner I would take it slow and easy, winged hollow forms are fairly advanced and certainly not something to take on lightly. Glad you "walked away" albeit with a bill for repairs. don't let it put you off though!

There's always the pole lathe ... much safer :D Actually, on manually powered lathe you would not only take off the corners, you'd shape the outside by axe till it is starting to look like a bowl before it went on the lathe. And axe work is of course perfectly safe :wink:

I hope you got patched up tidily.

lol it was a project far beyond my experience, in fact, i remember thinking that morning "well that looks bloody dangerous" but got to the lathe and immediately had a bash :) no one to blame but myself really but he who dares and all that but luckily its healing nicely and hasn't ruined my boyish good looks :)

Neil Collier":1e0m4rte said:
lol it was a project far beyond my experience, in fact, i remember thinking that morning "well that looks bloody dangerous" but got to the lathe and immediately had a bash :) no one to blame but myself really but he who dares and all that but luckily its healing nicely and hasn't ruined my boyish good looks :)

I think You have another problem, I think you might need your eyes testing :D

I think the best thing is to keep to the easier things first then move up from there. It is worth joining a club as you can get hands on and advice. Eiter that try to book a professional turner for lessons

[/b]

I think You have another problem, I think you might need your eyes testing :D[/quote]

That's just plain nasty

Brian

Back