Not so Lazy Susan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear all progressing well.

I am sure it will be fine

It will be worth it - it is a real head turner when done. I hope your piece of ash is nice and big. No bragging - a 32 ball race eh? =D> :shock:

Outstanding, I particularly like the use of the sycamore and ash together as I would not expect it to work visually, but it does on this. As for the balls, jig or not... they have to be bang on for the thing to work. I have a way to go on a lathe.

You must be cyckiatrik or cykadelik or sumfin, cause I were going to post me balls number!!

Up to about 26 so far. About 5/8" diameter and I worked on the principle that I have turned the ash rods down to that diameter. As long as I haven't taken that rod dia down then they have to be the same size within my tightly set limits of 1/4" or so 8) 8)

I get 8 out of a stick about 7" long, so ne more stick should do it then I will work out what the diameter of the ball race should be?

I have got an ash plank about 11" across and 4' long so I will see what I can do from that?

It is a challenge that I like and we will see. Wood colour too :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

I've got 75% of a ball-making jig for my lathe, the thing I've been wondering is how you part them off and re-chuck them to make them pure spheres, or do you just get close enough?

Aidan

TheTiddles":f40451hh said:
I've got 75% of a ball-making jig for my lathe, the thing I've been wondering is how you part them off and re-chuck them to make them pure spheres, or do you just get close enough?

Aidan

Once you have turned down to the final part, like all things it needs to be parted off. Final nib needs to be sanded off.

Jonzjob":2lmuhx9b said:
You must be cyckiatrik or cykadelik or sumfin, cause I were going to post me balls number!!

Up to about 26 so far. About 5/8" diameter and I worked on the principle that I have turned the ash rods down to that diameter. As long as I haven't taken that rod dia down then they have to be the same size within my tightly set limits of 1/4" or so 8) 8)

I get 8 out of a stick about 7" long, so ne more stick should do it then I will work out what the diameter of the ball race should be?

I have got an ash plank about 11" across and 4' long so I will see what I can do from that?

It is a challenge that I like and we will see. Wood colour too :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

To give a sense of scale the top of mine has a 15" diameter and the ball race was 24 balls

Part them off. Rotate 90 degrees so the stubbs face you on the lathe. Mount them between centres in a pair of leather lined cups and remove the pips and sand smooth. Balls!

I am not sure that I will be doing that Mike. They are only 5/8" and tiny to rotate, but it's something I will think over. It may well be possible to make a couple of small cup chucks, one for the chuck and one for the live tail stock?

If I can get it sorted I'll post a pikky or 2? I have done it before and it works a treat, so why not with small balls?

Mike

You are right of course, but in doing small scale stuff the "light ain't worth the candle".

If turning bigger balls, the nib is substantially larger and better removed as you described.

Got it!! :mrgreen: The live tail stock is the Axminster multi jobbie and I just turned a scrap of one of the ash sticks to slot into the base unit with a steel washer behind it in case it gets stuck.

Ballchuck1.jpg

Ballchuck2.jpg

It has turned out really well, because I don't have to stop the lathe at all. Just wind the tail stock back to remove one and the reverse to fit the next. The chuck jaws are the small set of the Axminster O'Donnel jaws on my K8 chuck. I would be lost without them

Ballchuck3.jpg

Ballchuck4.jpg

There's 28 balls in that little yogurt pot, so just another 8 or so to do now. I have no idea as to the daimeter of the ball race yet, but if I have any spares then they can go to the next one :shock:

Jonzjob":2hp6l3ui said:
Got it!! :mrgreen: The live tail stock is the Axminster multi jobbie and I just turned a scrap of one of the ash sticks to slot into the base unit with a steel washer behind it in case it gets stuck.

Ballchuck1.jpg

Ballchuck2.jpg

It has turned out really well, because I don't have to stop the lathe at all. Just wind the tail stock back to remove one and the reverse to fit the next. The chuck jaws are the small set of the Axminster O'Donnel jaws on my K8 chuck. I would be lost without them

Ballchuck3.jpg

Ballchuck4.jpg

There's 28 balls in that little yogurt pot, so just another 8 or so to do now. I have no idea as to the daimeter of the ball race yet, but if I have any spares then they can go to the next one :shock:
=D> =D> =D>

Nice one John

Moves it on again.

Yer balls are looking good!

Latest posts

Back