New Workshop needs new Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leecharles

Reaction score
Complete newbie here.
As retirement looms I am setting up a home workshop. Lucky enough to have a 60 foot detached single story building that will become the hallowed ground. First project will be building the work benches.
My first purchase needs to be a good table/panel saw.
I don't mind second hand or new up to £1200 and I don't have 3 phase.
I'm totally confused with all the mixed reviews so can anyone offer some up to date recommendations from personal experience please?
Lee

I recommend a sedgewick ta315 with sliding table.
I'm on my second one now(first had no sliding table) . A cracking machine, simple to adjust, solidly built, accurate and does not need 4 men to move ( if or when you rearrange your workshop!).
Should get for your budget with a little patience.

You say you don't have 3 phase, but does that mean you are opposed to buying a 3 phase machine for at least half the price if not less than that, and just buy yourself a VFD/inverter for a hundred quid or so to put on it.?
Do you plan on running a business with employees?
These are not recommended because they hold a charge.
I have two three phase machines, a 24" bandsaw and 12" startrite 275 that run from 13a plugs , these are less taxing on your supply, as the draw is mostly on start-up of an induction motor, and these things have a soft start feature.

There are plenty of folks here who have documented installing a vfd/inverter... (tomato/tomato)
on this forum, especially with the startrite 275, so you will see how easy they are to hook up.
more than likely the cheapest vfd will be for a dual voltage motor, which means can run on 240v and 380v three phase.
These figures are stamped into the motor name plate.
Dual voltage motors are common so look for 240v .or a triangle (delta) symbol.
You can buy vfd's for 380/440v motors for about 50% more, apparently....
These used to be more expensive not so long ago, so might be a see bit suspicious of the cheap ones.
I've yet to see a review on the budget vfd's for 380/400v (fixed Star wound motors,which has a Y symbol)

Just thought it was worth a mention.
Tom

With a table saw, or any wood working machine mass is your friend. The heavier and mor ridged the machine the more it will reduce vibration and hence the better the cut.
The better saws have very large bearings and spindle mounting arrangements. The trunions are large, preferably there are two, one at either end. They have large heavy duty raise and lower / tilting systems, the best being rack and worm screw.
You want a fence that’s rock solid, easy to adjust and again as massive as possible to make it both stiff and reduce vibration.

For these reasons Startrite, Wadkin and Sedgwick saws are highly regarded. A slightly larger saw is a SCM L’ Invincible range which have truly massive construction. It’s in a different league to the others.
I have rebuilt a lot of saws, including all that I’ve mentioned. All would serve you well, and can be bought for your budget.

There are six questions to answer to help narrow down which will be the most appropriate.
1 How thick do I need to rip? 3”, 4”, 5” or more?
2. Do I need to cross cut on it? Or will I have a separate machine, eg a Wadkin BRA?
3. Does it need to cut down sheet material, if so do I need a scoring blade? I might use a track saw instead.
4. Do I need the blade to tilt as I will be doing lots if angled cuts, or I would be happy with a saw where the fence tilts for occasional angle cuts with a sled.
5. How I important is dust collection?
6. What floor space is available for it?

If you can answer each if these it will help everyone advise which saw will fit your needs best.

Thanks for replies.
I had not considered an inverter so will look into that, thanks.
To answer Deema... Don't see me cutting anything thicker than 4".
I want a good all rounder that copes with whatever comes along, so yes I will rip and crosscut, yes I want the blade to also tilt, can get away without a scoring blade, would like a sliding table and I have bags of room.

I have also owned two Sedgwick TA315,s both with sliding tables .The first one I purchased new,the second had been refurbished,if you buy second hand be sure to check thoroughly before handing over your money,parts are not cheap.I can say that both my machines have been single phase and you need a dedicated 20amp supply ,both have been very reliable if looked after properly expect to pay about £1500 for a decent used one and about £3400 for a new one ,hope this helps ,regards Kevin.

In your shoes, I would look at the following saws based in your criteria
SCM S.I. 15i rare, but absolutely superb......but I’m biased I own one! usually sell for c£500~£1500 depending on how nice they look.

Wadkin AGS12, BGS12 or AG10. Usually sell for £300 to £2000 depending again on how nice they look

Sedgwick TA315

Startrite DS275.

If you want something substantial with a sliding table I've got a wadkin BGP sliding panel saw for sale... You'd need a concrete floored workshop though, it'd go through a timber one. :lol:

Back