New Website

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice clean site, Alan, at a first glance.

One big irritation though is that on your contact page you have put an abnormal email link. I know why you have done this but, as a potential customer, I'd rather click on the link which then automatically opens my mail program for me with the To field already populated. The way you've done it is a real turn-off.

An interesting business model that I've certainly not seen before but then I'm not a pet owner but I'd be tempted to be a carer as we like dogs.

As well as the email contact point raised by Roger, I feel the little payment section at the bottom of the prices tab seems out of context with the general theme assessment of the dog, charges stated as 'from £xx' together with life registration etc.
Unless an owner had had contact already with you, they would not know what to pay and if they had, they would need some sort of reference to the previous contact.

So perhaps some sort of order form to fill in stating the service required eg registration/assessment/ 10 days board etc with the requirement to include the registration number of the dog once assessed etc.
All of this should be a secure HTTPS page and then by all means an option to off to paypal but also for there to be options to pay by cheque or bank transfer and maybe even credit card - although this may mean you incur extra costs but you are doing that with Paypal anyway.

Hope this helps

Bob

I wish you all the luck Alan. We have dogs and have always had trouble getting them looked after when we go away. None of the kennels have ever impressed us.

I'm very impressed with the website Alan, and even more so with the concept and business model.

I can see this flying. It is also perfect for franchising; you could go nationwide and be a millionnaire by next year!

RogerS":1h1wqh7p said:

One big irritation though is that on your contact page you have put an abnormal email link. I know why you have done this but, as a potential customer, I'd rather click on the link which then automatically opens my mail program for me with the To field already populated. The way you've done it is a real turn-off.

I get a contact form showing up - I certainly wouldn't class that as abnormal.

Alan,
Looks to be a very nice site and as others have said - an interesting business model albeit one that is easily duplicated, so hurry if you want to be nationwide!

I do wonder how you handle the inevitable problems - eg a pet getting sick or dying in someone's care?

Chris Knight":3b4dk1rq said:
RogerS":3b4dk1rq said:

I get a contact form showing up - I certainly wouldn't class that as abnormal.

I wasn't worried about the contact form. That's fine. But to the right of it is what on most websites is a clickable email link.

9fingers":e02yp4nn said:
An interesting business model that I've certainly not seen before but then I'm not a pet owner but I'd be tempted to be a carer as we like dogs.

its basically what "Barking Mad" do

one point alan i'd be a bit careful of your claim on the front page about being the "leading agency in the north east" , if its a new business iots difficult to see how this could be true and you dont want to wind up in court with someone like "Barking Mad" suing for misrepresentation

Re the email address issue...

I agree, it should be clickable. However, there is another option... A lot of people like to use their email because using a contact form means they have no record of their correspondence with you. It's easy to email the sender a copy of their message sent via your form - include a checkbox so they realise they will get a copy (or can tick/untick the box to stop themselves getting a copy).

That way you could drop the email address altogether.

Thanks for all the comments and advice . Started the business after we went to visit kennels last year for our two little Bichons and were less than impressed.
Yes Tom we do have to see vaccination forms but no need for kennel cough vaccine (which dogs hate as its quirted up their nose )
Brad I have intended to franchise from the outset although that is sometime off yet , but Im extremely happy with the way things are progressing so far

I doesn't matter that it's not unique. You just need to make it the best damn franchise on the planet. Hard work, but I think you can do it with this business.

Thanks Tom, hard to find any business model with no competition so Im not concerned about that at all , just means Ive got to be that little bit better :wink:

All the best with your business Alan. I hope it takes off for you.

I assume from your std code you are somewhere southwest of the Metro Centre towards Conset.

I've got a number of friends who travel and are unhappy putting their pets into kennels so will pass the link on - can't promise any business but word gets around.

I'm north of Morpeth but I have a lot of contacts both sides of the river and people will certainly travel for the right service.

Bob

Hi Lons , yes just along from Rowlands Gill on the Derwentside side of the border. Cover most of the north east as we have a network of host families where the pets stay and we collect/ return the pet to fit around the owners travel arrangements. Do you think not having an 0191 code will be a hindrance ?

Alan Jones":3kbyuvic said:
Do you think not having an 0191 code will be a hindrance ?

in the long run you'll probably want to get an 0845 number anyway so not really

Alan Jones":2a5bqv4r said:
Hi Lons , yes just along from Rowlands Gill on the Derwentside side of the border. Cover most of the north east as we have a network of host families where the pets stay and we collect/ return the pet to fit around the owners travel arrangements. Do you think not having an 0191 code will be a hindrance ?

I didn't look at the site properly before replying #-o

I don't see your std code as a problem at all.

You're only 15 - 20 mins from Newcastle and 45 mins from Morpeth. Equally accessable south so well located really.

Might be worth thinking about a Journal / chronicle advert if you can afford it. Ask if they have any special features planned, May bank hol. is often a feature .
Northumberland show at Corbridge is on 31st May as well and might be worth some exposure.

You're within fairly easy reach of Darras Hall and that can be a lucrative market. A lot of well heeled owners in a compact area could be worth a day spent delivering leaflets perhaps? Again, I do a bit of work there so will pass on info to anyone who might be interested.

Bob

ps: One of my mates lived in your part of the world for 2 or 3 years (36 Lodge Close). He moved on a couple of years ago.
Now he's got a successful business! - owns the Finlay group of newsagents. :)

We live just along from Lodge Close on the same estate Bob. Ive organised ads in the chronicle/journal/sunday sun and will have 10,000 leaflets ready sometime next week , hopefully the website will have a positive impact as well. Im also trying to organise some sort of deal with the chronicles reader holidays to give their customers a discount voucher

Latest posts

Back