New turner needing advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Collecting my new Record CL4 later today and by weekend hope to have built a cabinet stand for it.

Looking for advice from experienced users as to what you like and dislike in a cabinet? Any suggestions of things I should take into account? And pics if people feel like sharing their designs :)

Also where do people get their wood from for turning? Mostly spindles, etc. I'll try bowls at a later date.

Many thanks.

when mounting on a bench allow room to turn the head for turning larger bowls over the front. as for timber old furniture from the tip is a grand source of seasoned beech, oak etc.

martlewis":3cc5ay4m said:
Collecting my new Record CL4 later today and by weekend hope to have built a cabinet stand for it.

Looking for advice from experienced users as to what you like and dislike in a cabinet? Any suggestions of things I should take into account? And pics if people feel like sharing their designs :)

Also where do people get their wood from for turning? Mostly spindles, etc. I'll try bowls at a later date.

Many thanks.

I've got the Record frame with my CL4 that came with it when I bought it and I have no issues, I was going to build the cabinet in this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fou ... 1861081146 (excellent book by the way)

I've struggled to find a source of timber in Manchester to be honest, you can't get things from the tips as suggested as once it goes through the gates it belongs to Viridoor and they wont let you get anything out the bins. Most of my timber comes from home of wood or I look locally on ebay for wood/furniture to recycle.

IMHO it's a mistake to make a cabinet as a stand for a lathe. With a bench mounted lathe you need to add as much weight as possible to get the best out of it so create a bench which you can box in, add additional weight like sand bags and bolt it to a solid floor.

When teaching I actually use the book mentioned above to show what NOT to do :)

This shows the bench I had for Coronet No3 now Record CL3

Attachments

• Coronet No 3 002.jpg
    Coronet No 3 002.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,449
Another problem to look out for is the lack of space for your feet especially if the lathe is not mounted close to the front edge. It makes for a hunched over, uncomfortable stance.

One thing that is often overlooked when making a cabinet is the height. A general rule is the centres of your lathe should be around the same height as your elbow.

Craft Supplies in Bradwell (Hope Valley, not so far from Chesterfield) might be worth a try for blanks - I've not been there for perhaps three years, so don't know what the situation is now, but when I last went they had racks full of 'exotic' hardwood blanks. Mainly bowl blanks, but also some for spindle turning. Tooling as well.
Robin

So I decided to build a bench after much consideration. The design includes much needed drawers and a space at the bottom for ballast. As it happens I have 10 bags of postcrete in stock with no home so they weight it down nicely. Pics to follow.

Latest posts

Back